Who, What, and Wyatt

A Bizarre Week in Boston

April 26, 2013

I frankly don’t have the energy or desire to try to draw conclusions from last week’s events in Boston. My own hunch is that there is little we could have done to prevent them from happening (though I defer to others for more researched conclusions). Instead I just want to leave an honest account on my own reactions to it all.

Terrorism has always felt very distant to me. Growing up in the Midwest, I knew no one remotely near Manhattan on 9/11. Terrorism was something that happened on my television screen. To have what appears to have been terrorism pierce that mental cushion and come to the town you live in is a strange thing. The collision of the normal and the bizarre is jarring.

Read more

Fix Affirmative Action

April 12, 2013

There are two major justifications for racial preferences in college admissions: that they diversify classes and level the playing field. In both respects, these preferences are disappointing.

Read more

Step Up, President Faust

March 29, 2013

I’ve been giving President Drew G. Faust the benefit of the doubt through the many Harvard scandals over the past year, but her handling of the Resident Dean email search debacle is where I draw the line.

Faust’s response has been three-pronged: simultaneously deny responsibility for the searches, assure others of their proper execution, and refuse to address the searches’ ethical implications.

Read more

Are You Ashamed of Bill O’Reilly?

March 08, 2013

I was recently on a panel of Harvard students at a conference when a high school student asked, “Are you ashamed that Bill O’Reilly graduated from Harvard?”

As someone who arrived at Harvard as a Tea Party supporter and subsequently moderated, I recognized the questioner as the kind of arrogant liberal that is unfortunately common on campus and who contributes to Harvard’s rocky relationship with conservatives.

Read more

February 22, 2013

Read more

water_india
Highlight

Then Rain Comes

musee
Highlight

Rainy Day Impression

Heidelberg
Highlight

Saudade, or Nostalgia

Unlocking the Map
Highlight

Unlocking the Map