Because We Didn't Have Enough Weird Sports...

Sweet curling stones.
Sweet curling stones.

‘Tis the season for eccentric sports at Harvard. Dunster’s Kevin J. Mechenbier has reinstated the Harvard Curling Club, which is returning to campus after a 4-year hiatus. With the 2010 Olympics coming up, amateurs and pros alike can have a chance to play this popular – or, let’s face it, odd – sport that we all love to watch on ESPN.

So far, eighteen students have signed up to learn to curl. Mechenbier is the only one in the club with experience, but he says he is confident that people will learn quickly.

Mechenbier describes curling as “very inviting for people who have just started.” Indeed, Harvard hopes to send a delegation to National College Curling Tournament in March. Here, there will be an entire division for teams with combined less than 5 years of experience.

For you curling newbies, here’s how the sport works: Two teams of four players slide heavy rocks down a sheet of ice toward a target, known as “the house.” Sweepers with brooms –what is it with Harvard kids and sports with brooms? – help direct the stones on their journey.

Curling also boasts its own lingo. Some of Flyby’s favorites:

-Biter (n) – a stone that barely touches the outside ring of the house

-Broomstacking – socializing (usually with alcohol) with fellow curlers after a friendly game

-Chip and lie (v) –when a stone hits another stone and thus comes to rest in an advantageous position

-Chip and Roll (v) – synonymous with chip and lie

For more information on Harvard curling, contact kmehenb@fas.harvard.edu

Student GroupsStudent Life

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.