Part of Winthrop Evacuated After Alarm Pulled in Kitchen

Fire officials check the roof of Winthrop House Thursday evening to examine the vents.  Smoke was seen coming from the kitchen ceiling, according to witness reports.
Fire officials check the roof of Winthrop House Thursday evening to examine the vents. Smoke was seen coming from the kitchen ceiling, according to witness reports.

Students were evacuated from Gore Hall in Winthrop House after smoke in the House’s kitchen prompted a dining hall worker to pull the fire alarm, according to the House’s resident dean Gregg A. Peeples.

The alarm was pulled around 8:10 p.m., according to students at the scene, who were allowed back into the building around 9 p.m. Edward C. Traver '11 said that the entryway smelled of smoke ten minutes before the alarm went off.

Around 9 p.m., fire officials were going to the House’s roof to check vents, as smoke was seen coming from the kitchen ceiling, according to witness reports.

"This was a routine call, certainly not run of the mill," said Cambridge Fire Department Captain Bill Braithwaite. "We bring all of our stuff out because we don't know what's going on."

Two fire trucks were on the scene. Around 8:30, officials unrolled hoses into the dining hall, but they were never used.

"We're investigating the sources of the odor, it can be common in winter," Braithwaite said.

House LifeWinthrop

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.