Don't read this post. Please, don't.

Do we give, or just knock back a few?
Do we give, or just knock back a few?

We at FlyBy didn't really "get" the senior gift video the first time we saw it.  Sure, we got that a litany of senior "campus figures" (our own leader and design chair emeriti among them) seemed to be able to convince themselves of two contradictory conclusions over the course of about four minutes (three too many).  We got that nearly-assassinated former UC presidential candidate Michael Koenigs was the best of the bunch for entertainment value.  We even got that it's not the easiest thing in the world to cheese it up in a video that will be widely viewed and "analyzed closely" (that's what this blog does, right?), so we give the seniors some props. But what was the point? What is Sorrento? Were we missing some reference that made this all hilarious and wonderful?

Yes and no.  The video apparently refers to a five-month-old celebrity-laden youtube video that implored citizens to not vote, and then decided that hey, yeah, you should vote. Tricky! The senior video definitely nailed the slightly preachy tone that we thought only Hollywood stars had down, but left out Sarah Silverman's under-the-shirt bra removal.  For shame, '09. More after the jump.

We have to ask if there was something more timely to make fun of...we feel like someone got excited about this idea in November and wouldn't budge.  And we're all for parodies being a couple of months old, at most.  We should have felt more lame and out of touch for not getting it, and instead we just felt a bit awkward.

By the way, in case the message was not clear, seniors, please give. Our takeaway from the video was that all donations go directly to the Queen's Head, and we endorse that purpose wholeheartedly. Next year we'll do a parody of "I'm on a boat" and call it even.

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.