Partying it up on Purim

•
Mmm...hamantaschen
Mmm...hamantaschen

Tonight marks the Jewish holiday Purim, which celebrates the Jewish peoples' deliverance from oppression during the ancient Persian Empire. But unlike most religious holidays, this day is celebrated with parties--and in costume. More info on Harvard celebrations after the jump.

The members of Harvard Chabad invite you to join them for:

The CRIMSON ABSOLUT PURIM BASH - Mon @ 9PM

Sanctum, Harvard Crimson - 14 Plympton Street (note: navel gazing!!)

Megillah Reading followed by Live Music, Hot Food, and an Awesome Time!

And here I thought Passover was the Jewish holiday to get shickered (Yiddish: tipsy) on Manishevitz.

“(The name) indicates that this party is the real deal,” said Rabbi Hirschy Zarchi of Chabad.

Tonight’s bash will feature a reading of the Purim story, multimedia slide show, music, and of course noshing (Yiddish: social eating). Students will be given the opportunity to fulfill the mitzvahs (Hebrew: commandment, connotation—good deed) of Purim which include giving gifts to friends, giving charity to the poor, and hearing the story of Purim.

The story of the holiday goes something like this: Esther the beautiful marries into the harem of Persian King Achashveirosh (365 BCE), where she uses her influence over the king to save the Jewish people from the King’s evil advisor Hamen (namesake of those delicious triangular jam-filled cookies), who wants to kill the Jewish people for having their own unique traditions and values.

One unique tradition of seniors is to dress up as their theses when they go to Hillel, how meshugee (Yiddish: slang, crazy). If you have a prisoner’s suit or bright orange clothes, Peter N. Ganong ’09 could use your help, says one Adams Schmooze e-mail thread.

Other Purim activities on campus include Hillel’s Purim Palooza (9-11pm Beren Hall, Harvard Hillel) and Chabad’s brunches around campus.

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.