Rusty Water by the River

FireHydrantWarning to all River House residents: don’t do your laundry tomorrow between 4:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m., or all of your whites may turn a lovely rust color. The FMO Fire Group will be performing the annual check of Harvard’s fire hydrants tomorrow evening, and in doing so they may knock some of the silt at the bottom of sedentary pipes back into the river houses’ waterways.

The silt – “That’s just normal sediment. Pieces of rust from the pipes themselves… minerals mostly,” according to John P. Boucher, supervisor for fire safety services for FMO Fire Group – may color the water, making faucets run yellowy-orange water.

But quadlings, don’t be too quick to mock the river. Fell free to rejoice tomorrow, but the silty sinks will soon head out there, too. All of Harvard’s hydrants will be checked sometime this fall, Boucher said.

The rust colored water, though unappetizing, is safe for consumption. (Boucher said he would drink it.)

Full text of the announcement after the jump.

Here’s the text of the announcement:

THE FMO FIRE GROUP WILL BE CONDUCTING ANNUAL FIRE HYDRANT MAINTENANCE AND FLOW TESTS BETWEEN 4:00PM AND 8:00PM IN THE River Area

Maintenance and testing will be conducted between the hours 4:00PM and 8:00PM Hydrant testing is performed to ensure operability and to identify and repair those hydrants requiring maintenance. In addition to hydrant testing, we will be performing water main flushing.

Hydrant testing may disturb the sediment that naturally occurs in the water piping system. Water from your faucets and toilet may appear rust colored from this disturbance. Rust discoloration may last for several hours after the tests have been completed. Discolored water does not usually present a health hazard, however; it is recommended that anyone who has doubts about the rust colored water should not drink it. If you do not have bottled water, you may wish to store tap water in your refrigerator for the day of the test.

We also suggest that dorm residents check their water before doing laundry because the discolored water may stain clothes. If you would like to know when the hydrants are being tested in your area, please review the schedule shown below or call the FMO Fire Safety Services at 617- 496-4075 for daily test locations. If you have any questions on water quality Jim Cullity at 617-894-6841.

Locations: River Area Date: Tuesday September 15, 2009

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.