ESPN Gives Harvard the Shaft

espnbostoncomparison
espnbostoncomparison

Monday marked the launch of ESPN Boston, an offshoot of the popular sports network's website devoted entirely to the group of fanatics self-anointed the "Red Sox Nation" (To be clear, the site covers all things Boston sports, but if you are a Bostonian who doesn't align with Red Sox Nation you just aren't jumping on the bandwagon hard enough).

Flyby rejoiced over the new site after stumbling across a preview in which Harvard's hallowed shield was displayed prominently on the header of the home page. But, apparently laying claim to Boston's oldest football, basketball, hockey, and baseball teams doesn't buy you much love. Read on after the jump to see what went wrong.

Much to Flyby's disappointment, ESPN Boston launched with the Harvard logo nowhere in sight. What had the University done to engender such disrespect? Paul Melvin of ESPN communications had this to say in an email,

Okay, so rest assured Crimson fans, ESPN Boston will occasionally rotate out the Patriots in favor of the red and white H...

While it remains to be seen how much visibility Harvard will in fact enjoy on the home page, Melvin assured Flyby that ESPN's Crimson coverage would not be lacking.

Flyby genuinely hopes that this is the case, because as of now Boston College is the only school with spot on the header, and we all remember why Harvard>BC>UNC.

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.