Midterm Elections: Why Harvard Lost

•

While the Republicans are celebrating their recent gains in the House of Representatives, some Harvard alumni might be less than pleased with the election results.

In this election, 13 Harvard alumni ran for governor. 11 lost. (Tom C. Foley '75 has still not conceded in Connecticut.) In fact, the only two Harvard grads who won gubernatorial elections were incumbents: Deval L. Patrick '78 of Massachusetts and John H. Lynch (HBS '79) of New Hampshire.

So why didn't Harvard alumni fare so well this year? In the current "year of anti-elitism," a Harvard diploma may have actually been a disadvantage for candidates.

Samuel Pearson "Terry" Goddard '69, the Democratic gubernatorial candidate in Arizona, noted this fact. "Here in Arizona, it would be a bigger local political advantage to go to one of the local universities," he told The Crimson. Goddard lost his race by more than 10 percentage points.

“Elitism” has become a staple word in our nation’s political discourse. Conservatives, especially members of the Tea Party, have repeatedly leveled this accusation against President Obama and other Democratic leaders.

"I did not go to Yale. I didn’t inherit millions, like my opponent," said Christine O'Donnell, the Delaware Senate Republican Candidate, in a recent advertisement.

Looking at the actions of some Harvard alumni candidates, it may be difficult not to read elitism. For example, Margaret "Meg" C. Whitman (HBS '79) reportedly spent $141 million of her own money on her campaign in California.

So if you're an aspiring politician, be forewarned—association with Harvard's elite reputation may not confer an advantage in the future.

Photo by Kevin H. Lin/The Harvard Crimson.

Headlines

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.