Quick-Flix Goes Bye Bye

Remember those days when family night consisted of actually going to the video store and renting a movie for the evening?

Now that iTunes and Netflix are taking over that tradtion, stores like Quick-Flix—currently the only movie rental store in Harvard Square—are being forced to close shop.

As Michael Bradley, the owner of Quick-Flix, wrote on the company’s Web site, “Due to the direction of the industry, and growing trends of on demand/streaming we have been left with little choice but to recognize the sunset on our path.”

On the bright side, their sunset is a college student’s sunshine. Since its closure, Quick-Flix closure has been having an “Everything Must Go” sale, selling movie DVDs at $4.99 each and TV series DVDs for $9.99 each.

Many TV series are still on the shelves, such as “Grey’s Anatomy," “Scrubs,” “The Office,” and “24.” In the mood for some Jackie Chan?  “Shanghai Nights” was still there at 7 p.m. today. Or, if you’re looking for a classic college movie to watch with roommates this weekend, “National Lampoon's Van Wilder” hasn't been snagged either.

But now that Quick-Flix is on its way out, what will take its place? Well, Bradley wants to know too. He is soliciting suggestions through the Quick-Flix Web site, so if you think there is something Harvard Square desperately needs, here’s your chance to make your voice heard!

Photo by Kane Hsieh '12, Crimson Staff Photographer.

Harvard Square

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.