What To Wear Is Now So Much Easier

•

Black miniskirt, white v-neck, and purple cardigan? Or blue miniskirt, black tank top, and silver bangles? It’s Friday night and you’re heading out for a night of fun with the girls. It’s almost time to meet them—but your outfit is far from perfect.

This is when Go Try It On, a Web site founded by Harvard Business School graduate Marissa A. Evans, comes in handy. With three simple steps, you can upload a photo, add a brief description, and post your image for comments, compliments, and scrutiny from the public eye.

While this site may not be necessary for many college students who are constantly surrounded by blockmates and friends willing to lend some advice or loan out clothing, it can be handy for the man or woman living alone who needs that extra opinion.

This Web site sounds like the ultimate solution to an outfit’s dilemma, but questions still linger: What if the comments get out of hand? What if the feedback blurs the line between constructive and critical?

We decided to test it out with one of our own. We posted a photo of an outfit worn to this correspondent’s high school prom: a purple strapless dress, black heels, a black bag, and a gold necklace. Then, we asked Go Try It On visitors to tell us what they thought.

One viewer said the following: “The dress is great, but the high necklace totally ruins the great neckline that this dress gives you, you should definitely not wear a necklace with this dress.”

Another viewer agreed, but in a slightly different manner. “Love the dress! You look great. Not loving the bag/ necklace combo. Maybe try something jeweled for the bag, and some sparkly earrings instead of the necklace. Show off that collarbone! Well done!”

Overall, the consensus was to lose the bag and the necklace and keep the dress. We appreciate the advice, but we caution other users to take it with a grain of salt. Regardless of what you end up wearing, own it and flaunt it, and the night will be yours.

Photo courtesy of Ian Riley/Wikimedia Commons.

Student Life

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.