Beers, Burgers, and Stone Cold Steve Austin at the Lampoon

Stone Cold Steve Austin made an appearance in Cambridge on Friday to grill burgers and throw back a couple of drinks at The Harvard Lampoon, a semi-secret Sorrento Square social organization that used to occasionally publish a so-called humor magazine.

The Lampoon hosted the event with the former World Wrestling Entertainment star in order "to make amends and celebrate our renewed friendship" (according to invitations left in the House), which was likely in reference to the distribution of 9/11-themed "Lever Forget" t-shirts on Housing Day.

Lured by e-mails sent over house lists inviting students to a BBQ presented by "The Harvard Lampoon and Leverett House," crowds began to form in front of the Lampoon Castle shortly before 6 p.m. Friday. The festivities kicked off when Lampoon editors began to grill burgers and play guitars in front of the colorful doors of the Lampoon Castle. Several minutes later, Austin himself emerged from the castle amid cheers from those Cantabs in attendance.

Rather than flipping wrestlers on their backs, Austin assumed control of the grill and flipped burgers instead. After several drinks, he was also spotted chatting away with students in the crowd.

Leverett House denies any involvement with the Lampoon event.

"Leverett HoCo was never approached by the Lampoon for this event. I had not seen the 'Harvard Lampoon and Leverett House present' invitations, and to my knowledge that invite was not sent over Lev Open," said Leverett House Committe Co-Chair Allison L. Sikora '11.

"In my opinion, this is just another Lampoon prank veiled as an olive branch for their tasteless Housing Day stunt in which they distributed shirts that not only had an inappropriate reference to the events of Sept. 11 but also used the image and name of Leverett House without permission," she added.

Student Groups

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.