Brown Mocks Harvard in Video

Argyle clad, overly competitive, and of course snobby—this is what a typical Harvard student looks like—at least according to Brown.

The Brown University South Asian Students Association (SASA) recently produced a series of videos promoting their 2010 event, Nashaa. All three of the videos, modeled after Apple's "Mac vs. PC" commericials, feature a Brown student and a "Harvard student" having conversations about school and extra-curriculars. Here are some highlights.

In the first video, "Family Reunion," Brown and Harvard talk about a "family reunion" amongst all of the Ivy League schools. In typical Harvard manner, Harvard complains about Yale and is overly competitive. The Brown student is, of course, the relaxed, hipster stereotype, sporting a beanie and a flannel shirt. One of FlyBy's favorite lines: "Listen Harvard, you gotta calm down. We're all brothers here. And then there's Cornell..."

In video number two, "Bigger is Better," Brown and Harvard compare plans for the evening. Harvard's plans are to do work for his four classes, including "Dead White Guy Philosophy 101, Insider Trading 302," and "this graduate level seminar entitled 'Country Club Etiquette.'" (Must have missed that last one in the course guide.) The video concludes with this gem:

Brown: That's why we're not tight, Harvard.

Harvard: Why? Because my acceptance rate is so much smaller than yours.

Brown: Yeah, you're right. [looks down at you-know-what] Mine is bigger.

Ouch.

The third and final video, "Gift Exchange," shows Harvard and Brown exchanging gifts. In true Harvard fashion, Harvard gives Brown a framed picture of himself, and Brown retaliates by giving Harvard a t-shirt reading, "Harvard. Because not everyone can get into Brown." Cute. Also, we've never heard that one before....

You might cringe slightly at the unoriginality of these video, but hey at least it's not as bad as this video.

Photo courtesy of Patricia Drury—CC BY 2.0

Harvard in the World

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.