Visitas: Interviews with Prefrosh

•

Visitas is the new, soon-to-be-official name for Harvard's "April Visiting Program," which essentially starts today. Over the next few days, we'll bring you everything you wanted to know (and maybe what you didn't) about this storied weekend.

As an upperclassmen, you've probably completely forgotten what it was like to be a prefrosh. Well, here's your chance to look beyond the red folders and Class of 2014 T-shirts to see what the young'uns are really like these days. We interviewed two of them (both of whom went to sibling schools in Chattanooga, Tenn.) as they were checking in at the Admissions Visitor Center earlier today.

TYLER RICHARD

Where are you from and what sort of high school did you attend?

I attended a boarding school in Chattanooga, Tennessee, but my family lives in Colorado.

What sorts of activities were you involved with in high school?

I ran cross-country, [did] climbing and yoga, and was involved in the Spanish clubs at my school. I was also a resident advisor in the freshman dorm at my boarding school.

Are you decided on Harvard or are you still choosing between schools?

It’s probably like 90 percent for Harvard. I really like Harvard, but I’m still considering other schools. I’m also looking at Princeton University and Davidson College.

What makes you want to come to Harvard?

It’s basically for the people. I feel you can get the same caliber of education at a lot of different institutions, but the type of people you meet are the real appeal. Harvard also has so many great resources.

Have you heard about any interesting classes that you’re thinking about taking at Harvard?

I’ve heard about "Justice" and it seems like a pretty interesting class. If I have time, I definitely want to take that course.

What clubs and extracurricular activities do you plan on doing in college?

I’d really like to get involved with club crew and would like to write for the Harvard Advocate.

IOANA FLOREA

What sort of school did you attend?

I’m originally from Romania, but I went to an all-girls college prep school in Chattanooga.

What sort of extracurricular activities were you involved with in high school?

I was involved with yearbook, high school newspaper, Model UN, and Amnesty International for a little while. I also did Science Olympiad all four years—that was fun.

Was it a surprise when you got into Harvard? How did your family and friends react?

I got a likely letter in January, so I had like a heart attack. It was a huge shock. My mother and dad started crying and my friends were just really excited.

What are your favorite things about Harvard that make it your top choice?

I toured fall of my junior year. I’m looking forward to the research opportunities and am really looking forward to doing academic science. And also the people seem amazing.

How are you enjoying the weather in Cambridge?

I like the weather. I’ve lived in New York for a little while, so there were different seasons. After living in the South for so long, where there’s no snow, I’m looking forward to finally having snow.

What activities are you hoping to get involved with on campus?

I would like to do a lot of independent research. I also want to get involved in club sports because I haven’t done a sport in so long.

Have you found the student body to fit the Harvard stereotype?

The students I’ve met so far have been really nice and welcoming. Kids I’ve met at other events before also seem like very nice, welcoming, non-elitist, smart-alecky people. Everyone I’ve met I really like so far.

Photo by Lily G. Bellow/The Harvard Crimson.

College

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.