Catfish, Catfish Everywhere

•

On Friday, we reported on the number of Swedish Fish that have been popping up on the walkways on campus, but it seems like they’re not the only creatures out and about in Harvard Square.

Catfish have now been spotted on the steps leading up to Lamont, as well as in between the stripes of the crosswalk on Quincy Street leading up to the Barker Center. So what's the deal?

A visit to the website listed below each fish leads to a promotion for "Catfish," a thriller about the brother of one of movie's directors and an eight-year-old girl from Michigan who contacts him via Facebook.

But the movie is only scheduled to premiere in Los Angeles, New York, Austin, and San Francisco this Friday, so why has some sneaky tagger decided to promote the film here in Cambridge?

CampusU Harvard, now in its second year at Harvard, is the on-campus marketing team for Universal Pictures and works to show advance film screenings to the Harvard community. Kate K. Ma ’12, one of the campus representatives, said that a free advance screening of "Catfish" will be held on Wednesday at 8 p.m. at the AMC Loews Harvard Square theater—the first of a number of screenings this year.

And the catfish loitering around campus?

“It’s just a new, innovative way for publicity," Ma said. "The stencils and spray chalk are meant to make people pause, grab their attention, and make them want to find out more.”

Photo by Kathryn C. Reed/The Harvard Crimson.

FilmThe SquareSpotted

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.