Jan. 4 – Jan. 30: A Stolen Harmonica

Although reports of "suspicious activity" have reached a high point over the past few weeks, the number of noise complaints has remained relatively low. Apart from an increase in the number of "unwanted guest[s]" sleeping in bathrooms, the month of January has been fairly average for HUPD. As part of our Securitas series, we’ve combed through HUPD log entries from the last few weeks and published some of the more colorful entries below.

BY THE NUMBERS

Reports of "vandalism": 9

Reports of "suspicious activity": 35

Reports of "unwanted guest[s]": 24

Noise complaints: 5

Total value of stolen harmonicas: $25.00

Total value of stolen Laptops: $7,450.00

Jan. 4, 2011

Theft Report (1:47 p.m.)

Peabody Terrace 24, 900 Memorial Dr., Cambridge

Officer dispatched to take a report of a stolen unattended and unsecured package. The package contained a Leap Frog music table valued at $50.00

Suspicious Activity (8:13 p.m.)

90 Mt. Auburn St., Cambridge

Officer observed an individual run into the alley. Officers located the individual who was urinating in the alley. Officers advised the individual and sent them on their way.

Jan. 8, 2011

Suspicious Activity (11:30 p.m.)

Riverside Housing Complex, 5 Cowperthwaite St., Cambridge

Officers dispatched to a report of a suspicious individual in the building. Officers report the individual had authorization to be in the building and was listening to music.

Jan. 9, 2011

Field Interview (11:17 p.m.)

Wigglesworth Hall E, 6 Harvard Yard, Cambridge

Officer observed an individual sitting on a folding chair in between Widener Library and Wigglesworth Hall. Officers conducted a field interview with the individual who was checked for wants/warrants with negative results. The individual was sent on their way.

Jan. 10, 2011

Annoying Calls (10:19 a.m.)

Holyoke Center, 1350 Mass. Ave., Cambridge

Officer dispatched to a report of an individual who received two annoying calls.

Jan. 12, 2011

Suspicious Activity (11:54 p.m.)

Quincy House A, 58 Plympton St., Cambridge

Officer dispatched to a report of an individual throwing something against the building causing the windows to shake. Officer reports no one was in the area and the cause may have been snow falling off trees and hitting the building.

Jan. 15, 2011

Suspicious Activity (1:52 p.m.)

Mallinckrodt Lab, 12 Oxford St., Cambridge

Officer dispatched to a report of a suspicious individual doing something with the card reader in the area. Officer reports the individual had authorization to be in the area and was working on the card reader.

Jan. 20, 2011

Suspicious Activity (11:19 p.m.)

Johnston Gate, 47 Harvard Yard, Cambridge

Officers dispatched to a report of a suspicious individual wandering around and talking to themselves. Officers searched the area for the individual with negative results.

Jan. 23, 2011

Noise Complaint (1:27 a.m.)

Moors Hall, 56 Linnaean St., Cambridge

Officers dispatched to a report of loud noise. Officers report the noise was an alarm clock coming from room 211 that was shut off.

Jan. 30, 2011

Suspicious Activity (6:33 p.m.)

Harvard Yard, 1 Peabody St., Cambridge

Officers dispatched to a report of two suspicious individuals in the area. Officers arrived and located the individuals who were walking through the area and having a conversation.

CrimeSecuritas

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.