Lamont To Stay Open 24/7 For Reading Period & Exams

•
Harvard University Police officers monitor the outside of Lamont Café while occupiers sit inside.

Late-night Lamonsters are in luck. Following a pilot program last spring, Lamont Library will stay open 24/7 during reading period and exam period this academic year, College administrators announced Thursday.

This December, Lamont will keep its doors open from 9 a.m. on Dec. 2 until 5 p.m. on Dec. 21, the last day of exam period.

Administrators said that informal counts by Lamont staff members during last spring's extended hours indicated that demand was sufficient to justify continuing staying open 24/7 for the end of the semester.

“Students voted with their feet,” Dean of the College Evelynn M. Hammonds said in a statement. “We’re really pleased that we can respond to that demand by making Lamont available again this semester for late-night studying.”

Michael George '14, chair of the Undergraduate Council's Student Life Committee, called the move "a very, very welcome step."

George, who is also a Crimson news editor, said his committee, which conducted an online student survey gauging student interest in extending Lamont hours last spring, plans to continue exploring the possibility of keeping Lamont open 24/7 year-round.

Here's hoping Lamont's extended hours this December will inspire more of this.

LamontReading PeriodExams

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.