Marriage Talk, Horseless Carriages, and the Sackler in Mourning

•
1946 Crimson
1946 Crimson

Every week, The Crimson publishes a selection of articles that were printed in our pages in years past.

October 24, 1924: Eliot Predicts Race Suicide in Talk To Harvard Dames

"Is marriage the most important thing in life?" was the question discussed by President Eliot at a meeting of the Harvard Dames held yesterday afternoon at Phillips Brooks House.

"I have asked many young men and women this question", said President Eliot, "and the majority say 'Yes'. But there is a growing number of young women who desire to have an independent life with intellectual and financial freedom. I cannot say that I consider this career better than the career of motherhood."

October 26, 1939: Invading Indian Demands Room in Stoughton

Ughing something about an ancient charter entitling Indians to free lodging in Stoughton Hall, an early arrival from Hanover last night attempted to force his way into the Yardling room of David B. Shaw in Stoughton.

The Indian, who said his name was George Washington Nopokum, had come to Cambridge to "watch my brethren wallop you white men." In violent and rum-inspired terms, the Hanover Brave claimed the right to stay in Stoughton according to the provisions of the gift of the bricks used to build the hall in 1965.

October 25, 1946: Horseless Carriages Back to Spew Flame

Children of necessity, a host of rare vintage automobiles have made their appearance on the Cambridge scene. No addicts of chrome and fluid drive their owners have cars that were built to last, and they know it.

These hardy, car hungry souls, unfazed by wear, have scooped up the cream of the 1929 used car mart and buy their oil with a reckless abandon. Thomas it. Morse '48, who operates from Lowell House, pours a quart of oil into his 1922 model T Ford with each gallon of gasoline and loves every minute of it.

October 22, 1953: First Lady of Quincy

A maid sweeps about the room emptying ashtrays and straightening chairs. The Deans have just left, the Harvard Dames will begin arriving any minute. The man from the museum is coming later with a choice of pictures for the living room. There are notes to answer, calls to make, invitations to accept or postpone.

And if there should be a little time in the evening to relax and look over the children's homework, Mrs. Nathan M. Pusey considers this a slack day. Since her arrival in Cambridge early in the fall each hour has been packed with obligations, either social or domestic. "At this point, our outside interest is people," Mrs. Pusey smiles.

October 23, 1967: Parietal Committee Says 250 Back Co-ed Study-In

Members of an ad hoc student committee working to increase parietal hours claimed last night to have about 250 signatures of students agreeing to take part in a coed "study-in."

James M. Hollomon '69, a spokesman for the Student Committee on Parietals, said last night that in addition to the petition, his organization has been arranging informal talks with Masters, tutors and students, on the general parietal issue.

October 1, 1985: And How Would You Describe the Sackler?

* "It looks like a German torte with all those layers. It looks like it should be eaten but that green fence makes it look unappetizing," said Sophia S. Pao '87.

* "That's a building in mourning," said former mayor and Cambridge City Councilor Alfred E. Vellucci. "Remember the old armbands that immigrant men used to wear when there was a death in the family? The black bands running around the building remind me of Italian funerals."

-Compiled by Ginny C. Fahs

CollegeFASQuincyMuseumsEthnic or Cultural GroupsIdentity GroupsFlyby BlogArchivesFlyby Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.