This Weekend in Arts: 11/23 - 11/25

There are so many shows, performances, and galleries in and around Harvard Square that sometimes it's hard to know where to start—so the Arts board is here for you. We've compiled a list of interesting (and nearby) events happening this weekend for those of you staying at Harvard for Thanksgiving. Send tips to artscal@thecrimson.com.

FRIDAY 11/23

Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven – Boston Symphony Orchestra – 1:30 p.m. (repeated at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday)

Pianist and conductor Christian Zacharias showcases a completely Austro-German program for the classically inclined. This concert will feature the BSO's first-ever performances of Haydn's Symphony No. 76 and Beethoven's complete ballet score to "The Creatures of Prometheus."

Ray LaMontagne – Orpheum Theatre – 7:30 p.m. (repeated Saturday)

This Thanksgiving, Boston is in for a treat with Ray LaMontagne. Having received the Grammy for Best Contemporary Folk Album in 2011, LaMontagne continues to build soothing yet invigorating soundscapes.

The Nutcracker – Boston Ballet – 7:30 p.m. (through 12/30)

No one's ever too young or old for the quintessential Tchaikovsky work. The world premiere of Finnish choreographer Mikko Nissinen's "The Nutcracker" promises an exciting interpretation of the classic ballet.

SATURDAY 11/24

Mona Golabek in The Pianist of Willesden Lane – ArtsEmerson – 8:00 p.m. (through 12/16)

Pianist Mona Golabek combines a concert and candid storytelling in this tribute to her mother, Lisa Jura. A one-time Grammy nominee, Golabek is also the author of the memoir "The Children of Willesden Lane."

SUNDAY 11/25

Royal-Tea – Museum of Fine Arts – 3:00 p.m. -4:00 p.m. (each Sunday through 12/16)

Carefully crafted by the MFA’s restaurant Bravo, this tea party is the perfect accompaniment to the MFA’s recently opened exhibition "Mario Testino: British Royal Portraits."

"Possession" – Harvard Film Archive – 7:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.

What better way to overcome the going-back-to-school fatigue than with Polish director Andrzej Zulawski's dysfunctional-couple-drama-turned-horror-movie "Possession"? One of the finest examples of genre experimentation, this film is a must-see for neo-noir fans.

On CampusCambridgeBostonArtsFlyby City

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.