Drunk Football Players, A New Fire Station, and JFK's Assassination

•
1946 Crimson
1946 Crimson

Every week, The Crimson publishes a selection of articles that were printed in our pages in years past.

November 19, 1925: Agent and Police Wet-Blanket Football Theatre Party—"Too Drunk to Talk to" Is Charge of Tremont Official

The University football squad, for whose entertainment an evening at the Tremont theatre had been planned, yesterday failed to witness "The Cocoanuts" because of the cupidity of an officious police officer and the unreasonable temper of the Tremont theatre's business manager.

Six taxis were engaged by the management to convey the players to the theatre. Upon alighting, the members of the party entered the lobby in a manner that was described by Manager S. de J. Osborne '26 as "not noisy, but quietly keyed up."

November 19, 1931: New Fire Station Will Be Built In Colonial Style

The new Cambridge fire station, to be erected on the plot of land between Memorial Hall and the Yard, will be of Colonial Georgian architecture, to conform with the Harvard buildings, according to information received yesterday. A preliminary appropriation has been made by the city council, and an architect will be appointed shortly, Mayor R. M. Russell '14 also stated. Work on the demolition of the Rogers Building, which now occupies this land, will begin as soon as plans are completed and construction of the station will be started during the present academic year.

The plot of land which will be the site of the new station was in the possession of the University until a few years ago when it was exchanged with the city of Cambridge for other land that was considered to be of more value in the expansion of the college. This was the first time in the history of the University that a piece of land had been allowed to fall into the hands of an outsider.

November 22, 1952: Poor Yale-New Haven Relations Continue

Early in February this year, the Yale Daily News published a three-part article on the town-gown problem. The article concluded: "... every time a Town-Gown problem is solved, another seems to take its place--but they're growing smaller with each succeeding year."

On the morning of May 13 this year, a dispute over an ice cream vendor precipitated the biggest riot New Haven has seen since the bloody fracas of 1919. Over 1500 students and scores of policemen battled with pillows, water bombs, fire hoses, billy clubs, and drawn revolvers.

For two centuries, Yale and New Haven have periodically come together in gory frays that make their Cambridge counterparts look sickly by comparison. Guns, knives, and an aura of ill-feeling have permeated the town-gown relationship.

November 22, 1963: Death of President Shocks Cambridge

People in Cambridge were finishing lunch when they heard that President John F. Kennedy was shot, and at 2:15 they know that he was dead.

On Massachusetts Avenue groups clustered by car windows to hear the radio. Transistor radios were everywhere. Students greeted each other with "He's dead," and in the restaurants the few diners spoke in low voices.

In Harvard Square of students were standing by the Kiosk, waiting for the extras to begin to arrive. A man in painter's overalls was arguing with a policeman about putting the flag over the Coop at half-meet.

November 19, 1970: For Segal, Harvard-Yale Game Is Annual 'Schizophrenia Time'

Erich Segal sat in his suite in New Haven last Saturday night pondering the Harvard-Yale game. "That game is schizophrenia time for me," he said, reflecting on 11 years as an undergraduate and teaching assistant at Harvard.

The author of a phenomenally successful novel, "Love Story," Segal is now an associate professor of literature at Yale. But when Harvard and Yale line up Saturday in Cambridge, Segal will be far removed editing a new film in California.

The nerve-racking duality of The Game reached its apex for Segal two years ago when he came to Cambridge for the meeting of unbeaten Harvard and Yale teams. It was his last football game.

Compiled by Samuel Y. Weinstock.

CrimePoliticsThe GameCambridge Fire Department

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.