Power Is Back

•
Quincy courtyard is illuminated only by lights from construction vehicles as Harvard and other areas of Cambridge are affected by an electricity blackout.

Shortly after 6 p.m. power came back after nearly two hours in the dark.

In anticipation of a possible interruption in swipe access capabilities at university buildings, members of Dorm Crew had been asked to stand at the entrances to dorms and open doors for Harvard students with an ID.

According to Grant A. Sprow '16, members of Dorm Crew were told in an email that they would be paid to open doors for freshman dorms as they lost power.

Harvard Extension School cancelled its Thursday night classes that were scheduled to be held in the Yard, CGIS, and William James Hall, according to the University's emergency website.

The Institute of Politics cancelled a highly anticipated event featuring prominent campaign advisors such as David Axelrod and Jim Messina, as well as the Meet the Press moderator David Gregory. Attendees were already in their seats when they were told that the event would be postponed.

All upperclassman intramurals have been cancelled for Thursday night, as well.

MIT was also experiencing a power outage as of 6 p.m. An emergency announcement on its website stated that MIT police were responding to people trapped in elevators.

On CampusFlyby Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.