Stillman Infirmary Has Been Stillman Since 1902

•
1946 Crimson
1946 Crimson

Every week, The Crimson publishes a selection of articles that were printed in our pages in years past.

Dec. 9, 1901: The Infirmary Opening

The Stillman Infirmary will be opened January 1, 1902. The building is now practically completed. It has been decided to use the lower three floors for the patients. The fourth story will be used for the doctors and nurses, and the basement will be occupied by the furnace and kitchen.

Dec. 15, 1937: Wigglesworth Inhabitants Driven Out by Ripe Cheese

Last night a late passer-by marveled at the sight of Wigglesworth students studying on the frozen ground outside their entry.

Investigation showed that some student had had his room smeared with copious blobs of exceptionally ripe Limburger cheese by practical jokers. The cheese was so strong, however, that it "walked" right out of the room and filtered throughout the building.

Dec. 14, 1942: Mint Seeks Pennies To Save on Copper Hoard

Instructions coming direct to the Yard from the Directory of the U.S. Mint in Washington request that all students assist in the current campaign "to get back into circulation the idle coins that art lying hidden in piggy banks, sugar bowls, glass jars and bureau drawers" throughout the University.

"The 4600 tons of copper consumed last year in making the one-cent piece," the announcement continues, "would have met the combined requirements of copper for building 2 cruisers, 2 destroyers, 1245 flying fortresses, 120 field guns and 120 howitzers."

Dec. 14, 1963: Dining Halls Plan Substitute Entrees

Upperclassmen with 12 o'clock classes will be able to eat in the Union from 11:45 a.m. to 12 noon beginning with lunch Jan. 6, and after that date Central Kitchen dining halls will offer "acceptable meat substitutes" for their less popular dinner entrees.

Dec. 15, 1972: HSA Board Vetoes Selling Contraceptives in Union

The Board of Directors of Harvard Student Agencies yesterday ended all chances that HSA would sell condoms and vaginal foams at its concession stand in the Freshman Union.

In a compromise motion, the directors decided to sell condoms from a vending machine at the University Health Services, pending UHS's approval.

The Board rejected the proposal to avoid "adverse publicity," Arthur I. Segel '73, president of HSA, said yesterday. He added that the directors' approval would have been useless. He said they sensed that "the Administration wouldn't let us do it anyway."

—Compiled by Julie M. Zauzmer

UHSFood and DrinkHealthHUDSHarvard in the WorldHistoryFreshmenArchivesExamsSexFlyby Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.