Plaza Taco Sneak Preview

•
Martin T. Breslin, Director of Culinary Operation for Harvard University Dining Services, prepares a pork taco for tasting as Executive Sous Chef Brian Corcoran looks on. Breslin's new creations, which include a Korean Barbeque Beef taco, will be available to students at the new Plaza Tacos eatery, opening on the Science Center lawn Monday.

Half a trailer is parked outside the Science Center, bearing a Plaza Taco logo on it. Although the logo looks cute, how the food tastes is the real question at hand.

Plaza Taco will offer four tacos: Korean BBQ Beef, Carnitas, Pollo Asado, and Vegetarian.

The Rundown:

Korean BBQ Beef

Korean barbecue beef comes equipped with the meat itself, shredded lettuce, tomato, kimchee, sour cream, and barbecue sauce.

Carnitas

Pulled pork is served alongside pico de gallo, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, shredded Monterey Jack, and hot aioli.

Pollo Asado

Lime pulled chicken is complemented by pico de gallo, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, shredded Monterrey Jack, and chipotle sauce.

Vegetarian

Spicy seitan get paired in this final offering with pico de gallo, lettuce, guacamole, shredded Monterrey Jack, and jalapeño cilantro sauce.

This Flyby correspondent sampled the Pollo Asado and the Vegetarian tacos. Here's what she found.

Pollo Asado: The lime is generally slightly sour, the pulled chicken has a sweet tinge to it, and the pico de gallo and the chipotle sauce have hints of spiciness to them that complement the sweet and sour flavors. Overall, the pollo asado is a mix of tastes, rich and saturated. Of course, the guacamole, sour cream, and lettuce gave the taco that extra, needed freshness.

Vegetarian: You're given a taco. You start to eat it, when parts of the taco fall out. They are a rich, brown color. Isn't this supposed to be a vegetarian taco? The speciality of Plaza Taco's vegetarian taco is seitan, or wheat gluten, which has a similar texture and appearance to meat. The seitan for the tacos is cooked with soy sauce and actually tastes very, very good. Filled with flavor, this taco is a keeper.

Go check out Plaza Tacos from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. Monday-Friday. Tacos cost $4.75 each.

Student LifeFood and DrinkCollege LifeHeadlinesHarvard Yard

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.