Crimes at Harvard and Wartime House Life

•
1946 Crimson
1946 Crimson

Every week, The Crimson publishes a selection of articles that were printed in our pages in years past.

July 6, 1943: Traditions Give Way in Modified House System

Although they will be operating under entirely different circumstances and conditions, Adams, Dunster, and Lowell, the three civilian Houses, will still carry on in an abbreviated and modified form the traditions and customers of the old House system, David M. Little '18, secretary to the University and master of Adams House, said last night.

July 1, 1957: Student Employment Office Predicts Many Jobs for Men, Few for Women

The part-time employment forecast for summer school students was read yesterday as "bright for men; cloudy for women."

July 6, 1976: City Council To Decide DNA Question Soon

The Cambridge City Council will hold its final debate tomorrow night to decide whether it should ban Harvard from conducting recombinant DNA research in its Biological Laboratories.

The experiments, which involve transferring DNA into specimens of E coli, a commonly used bacterium, are designed to produce a new species, whose characteristics will be unknown and possibly dangerous.

July 6, 1977: Court May Not Try Pavlovich on Forgery, Fraud Charges

Spiro Pavlovich is alive and in bed in New Orleans.

The man who managed to boondoggle Harvard Law School into accepting him twice with false credentials and who allegedly falsified a federally-guaranteed loan application will probably never stand trial, his attorney said yesterday.

William P. Homans Jr. '41 said a doctor appointed by the New Orleans court handling the Pavlovich case reported the defendant to be mentally incompetent to stand trial.

July 6, 1979: Custodian Charged with Weld Thefts

Mark S. Giangregario, a University custodial worker, was arraigned yesterday at 3rd District Court on charges of attempted larceny, larceny under $100, and breaking and entering. After his arraignment, Giangregario was released on bail.

Scott Novins, a Summer School student living in Weld 30, said yesterday he noticed on Tuesday that his stereo had been placed in a brown paper bag next to Giangregario's plastic cleaning bag. He added he saw Giangregario sweeping up in the room and went to Wayne Ishikawa, dean of students, who brought the stereo to the Harvard Police. The police arrested Giangregario at 2 p.m. Tuesday. They are now testing the stereo for finger prints.

—Compiled by Nikita Kansra and Julie M. Zauzmer

CrimeHouse LifeDunsterLowellAdamsStudent JobsResearchCambridge City CouncilHistoryGender and SexualityArchivesBiology

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.