Putin, Hello Kitty, and 'Boston Cream Thigh'

•

1. Only in Taiwan: Jeremy Lin '10 dressed up as Hello Kitty in order to exit his hotel undetected. He then made a video that has since gone viral, featuring some courtside action from the Linster himself.

2. Barack Obama's speech at the DNC inspired voters, but it was Michelle Obama who set the campaign trail ablaze. Her sincere account of her own family's struggles invigorated an otherwise lifeless reelection effort.

3. After nine years of marriage, the comedy power couple Will Arnett and Amy Poehler is splitting up. Every "Arrested Development" fan can agree that they've made a huge mistake.

4. You might want to revisit your definition of aphrodisiac. Ben & Jerry's is suing a California porn company for releasing a series of DVDs that lampoon the ice cream company's signature flavors. Less salacious titles include "Boston Cream Thigh" and "Chocolate Fudge Babes."

5. In other legal news, one of James Franco's former professors at NYU is suing the actor for defamation. Franco, who attended two out of 14 lectures, allegedly tarnished the man’s reputation by making “disparaging and inaccurate public statements" after receiving a "D" in his film course.

6. As if Apple didn't already rule the world, the company recently announced plans to launch an Internet radio program similar to Pandora and last.fm. The service will give unrestricted access to users, freeing them from pesky hourly limits on play counts.

7. It's official: no one can perform publicity stunts quite like Vladimir Putin. Along with a group of scientists, Putin will mount a motorized glider and help a flock of endangered Siberian cranes migrate to northern Russia.

8. Remember the days when the MTV Video Music Awards were actually about music videos? Neither do we. Nicki Minaj, Ke$ha, and Miley Cyrus (channeling a mutant hybrid of Robyn and "There's Something About Mary") threw the ceremony even more out of focus with their outlandish outfits.

9. Power to the states. In what could be a landmark initiative in favor of same-sex marriage, New York, Connecticut, and Vermont are taking on the feds. The three states argue that, despite the Defense of Marriage Act, the U.S. government has no jurisdiction to reverse same-sex marriages conducted within their borders.

10. Someone with way too much time has done humanity a great good. Courtesy of YouTube, the entire cast of Mad Men can now serenade you "Never Gonna Give You Up" at a moment’s notice.

PoliticsObamaState Politics

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.