What's Worse: The ACA Website or Harvard Websites?

•

Since the launch of the Affordable Care Act website, there has been a lot of criticism about its workability. Some active internet commenters have been pretty outspoken about how they think it's the worst site in the history of the interwebz.

Harvard students beg to differ. Students spend hours trying to traverse the mazes that are Harvard University's various online portals. To name just a few of these nearly impossible to navigate websites:

Advising Network Portal
Just getting to the Advising Network Portal is a trial in itself. First you have to actually find the Advising Programs Office website–easy enough, you may think—but then you have to locate the elusive blue button that reads “Advising Network Portal.” Once you have finally plugged in your Harvard ID and password information, a not-so-attractive photo of yourself will greet you. Congratulations. You found the Portal. Now you’re there; good luck finding the information you’re actually looking for.

Student Planning Portal
Sophomores sit in front of their computers for what seems like days in a fruitless attempt to locate their future concentrations—among just 48—and the requirements thereof. Students can choose from a menu including such options as “Create Planning Worksheet,” “Plan of Study,” Browse Courses,” Print and Publish,” and most importantly receive “Help.” The last tab may be the most useful.

The Obama administration finally apologized on October 29 for the inconveniences of the ACA site and promised to get the site running smoothly as soon as possible. Harvard, when will you do the same?

Courses of Instruction
With the creation of the CS50 Course catalogue, this “Courses of Instruction” section of the FAS website seems fairly pointless. Scanning through a list of 80 or so possible broad course categories, General Education requirements, Core Curriculum, House Seminars, and Graduate Seminars can prove frustrating to say the least.

Crimson Cash
Think of all those times you're in desperate need of candy from the vending machine and have to fill out your entire address and the number from the back of your ID just for a little sugary gratification. Why is this a thing?

HealthObamaHarvard on the WebFlyby Culture

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.