How To Survive Until Thanksgiving? Embrace the Holiday Season Early.

A twelve-foot tall Christmas tree is decorated, gallons of eggnog are consumed, and joy is brought to the world of Eliot D-Hall on Thursday evening in a Holiday kick-off celebration.

It’s easy to complain about the late Thanksgiving we have this year. At this point, everyone is ready for The Game and, of course, break. Waiting an additional seven days before both can seem like a struggle. Oh, no, I have to spend a whole extra week battling the elements of the frigid Cambridge November and pretending to study for my midterms, while really I’m just dreaming of marshmallow covered sweet potatoes and my bed.

So, wondering how to survive until the end of November? It’s simple—start getting into the holiday spirit and get a jump start on the most wonderful time of the year! While our Christmas countdown is going the whole year, we understand that, for some, mid-November might seem a bit early for Santa hats and holly. Well, guess what—it’s not. Here are some ways to enjoy pre-Thanksgiving November and embrace the season.

1. Sounds of the Season

Start listening to your favorite holiday soundtracks and carols. It’s not acceptable to say, “I don’t like that kind of music,” because the variety is astounding. What artist doesn’t have a holiday album? There’s everything from Justin Bieber’s “Under the Mistletoe” to “A Motown Christmas” to Michael Bublé’s “Let it Snow” to the classic Nat King Cole and Bing Crosby tunes. We could go on and on.

2. Extreme Makeover: Seasonal Dorm Edition

Want to festivize your room? At the very least, everyone can (should) put up a strand of colored lights. If you are a fan of decorations, we encourage you to fit as much as you can into your dorm: a mini Christmas tree, stockings, a menorah, a wreath, candy canes, snowflake window stickers, fake snow to cover the floor, perhaps a singing Rudolph stuffed animal, etc.

3. Eating Habits

Don’t be afraid to change your eating habits to embrace/accommodate the season. If that means going to Starbucks double the amount you normally do because you can’t get enough of the red cups, that’s totally fine. Eat peppermint bark for breakfast and gingerbread for dinner, and substitute eggnog for milk.

4. Festive Activities

Take a break from Lamont to make use of the dorm kitchens and concoct some of your favorite sweets. Put on a holiday movie while you’re at it. Some favorites: “Miracle on 34th Street,” “Elf,” “The Holiday,” “The Polar Express,” and “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.”

Flyby BlogThanksgivingHolidayFlyby Culture

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.