Extreme Makeover: Holiday Edition

A snowman sits in a window near the Adams dining hall.

It’s time to embrace the holiday season, and what a better way to celebrate than to decorate your room? By now, everyone’s ready to revamp their dorm anyways. We at Flyby officially declare it time to “festivize” your living space.

Here are seven suggestions for holiday room decorating:

1. Get a Christmas tree
Although a fake tree might seem easier to maintain, the natural pine scent that can only come from a real tree makes the daily watering worth it. Plus, Christmas tree decorating is the best, and a fun winter activity to do with roommates.  And if you “don’t have space for a tree,” consider this option.

2. DIY ornaments and crafts
A great project when it’s cold and dark outside and you’ll add to the holiday cheer in your room. Check out Pinterest for approximately one billion ideas.

3. Hang up some stockings
Even though Santa probably won’t be stopping by your dorm, stockings always look great—hang them over your fireplace if you have one or over your desk. Another suggestion: do a Secret Santa with roommates or friends and stick gifts for one another in the stockings.

4. Fake snow
Sprinkle fake snow all over your floor, it’s probably already dirty anyways.

5. Advent calendar
An advent calendar adds cheer to a room, plus countdowns are always enjoyable and depending on what kind you get, you can enjoy chocolate everyday. Here are some advent calendar ideas.

6. Snowflake stickers and cut outs
While there may be actual snow falling outside, snowflake window stickers and cut outs are an easy, space-minimizing way to add holiday cheer to a room.

7. Nutcracker
Having a nutcracker in your room is not only seasonal, but practical.

On CampusHolidayFlyby Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.