In 1953, Harvard Tuition Was Hiked to $800

•
1946 Crimson
1946 Crimson

Every week, The Crimson publishes a selection of articles that were printed in our pages in years past.

February 6, 1926: Young Tutors and an Old Adage

It has often been remarked that the important thing in education is not the doctrine taught but the awakening of the student. The tutorial system is a recognition of this truth. The most important benefit conferred by the direct contact between a student and a tutor is just this: that the student may receive a new stimulus to intellectual development and respond to it by what is truly an awakening of his more or less dormant powers. The tutorial system not only is a powerful instrument for effecting such a transformation, but is helping to bring it about earlier in the student's career than was formerly possible.

February 7, 1953: Corporation Ups College Tuition to $800; Sports Fees, Tickets Included; Costs Hiked In GSAS, Education, Public Administration

Provost Buck's tuition recommendations were approved in full, the Corporation revealed yesterday. The new tuition fee for both the College and Radcliffe will be $800, beginning next fall.

At the same time, tuition in the Graduate Schools of Arts and Sciences, Education, and Public Administration jumped from $600 to $700 for full-time study and from $100 to $200 for reduced study at an advanced level. No action has been taken yet by the Law, Medical, Divinity, Design, and Public Health Schools.

February 9, 1961: Protest of Bomb Shelter Greeted by Public Apathy

A picket line organized in front of the Massachusetts State House to protest the proposed construction of a state nuclear bomb shelter drew little response yesterday from an apathetic Boston.

Over 70 persons joined in the demonstration sponsored by the Greater Boston Committee for a Sane Nuclear Policy. Robert E. Well '61, head of Harvard's Tocsin organization, estimated that 15-20 of the picketers were from the University.

The picketing itself was orderly and quiet. Demonstrators marched in a large oval carrying signs that read: "Man is not a mole," "Keep man out of a hole," and "Civil Defense is not defense."

February 8, 1965: University Introduces New Iranian Courses

A Russian citizen, a Zoroastrian priest, and a Cambridge University lecturer will give Harvard's first courses on modern Iranian literature, religion, and history this semester.

Reshat M. Aliyev will teach Iranian 176, Persian Literature. Aliyev is the first Russian citizen to give a regular course at Harvard, according to Richard N. Frye, Aga Khan Professor of Iranian.

Peshotan Anklesaria, who is offering the History of Zoroastrianism at the Center for World Religions, is the first University instructor to be a Zoroastrian priest.

February 4, 1978: Drugs Sold Here Laced with PCP Cause Severe Reactions in Students

Several undergraduates who experienced severe physical and psychological reactions after ingesting illegal drugs purchased in Cambridge have caused University administrators to fear an increased distribution of marijuana and LSD laced with harmful synthetic hallucinogens.

During exam period two students were treated and released after they smoked marijuana purchased on campus that they believe was "dusted" with either angel dust, the alcohol extract of marijuana, or PCP, a synthetic amphetamine derivative also used as a horse tranquilizer, Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, said yesterday.

Dr. Paul A. Walters Jr., chief of psychiatry at the University Health Services, said yesterday that although no cases of treated marijuana have been brought to his attention, there is evidence of an alarming reemergence of "bad acid," especially LSD laced with speed derivatives such as PCP.

—Compiled by Rebecca D. Robbins

HistoryAcademicsBostonArchivesDrugsFlyby Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.