Be a Great Prefrosh Host

I was never a prefrosh at Visitas, I never officially hosted a prefrosh, and I don't even know what the word Visitas means (is it Latin or a pun?). I did however, babysit my neighbor once, and I'm pretty sure that means I’m qualified to give advice on how to host prefrosh.

1. Take Your Prefrosh to Class

It's like Take Your Daughter to Work Day, except instead of your child, it's some kid you barely know, and instead of taking them to work, you just ditch class and make them take notes for you. Just make sure they have good handwriting and a decent foundational understanding of Swahili.

2. Placebo Your Prefrosh

Since they are coming to college, it is essential that prefrosh learn how to handle drinking. So give them all shots of water and tell them its Rubinoff. They'll think their BAC is higher than it really is, and more importantly, you'll save them from dehydration (and any unneccessary trips to UHS).

3. Pair Them Up

The best thing about Visitas is the friendships that are made. As a sophomore, I still hear students talk about the kids they met, spent the entire weekend with, and then never talked to again. Pretending to forget your Visitas friend is a tradition, so make sure to you, as a host, enforce the buddy system—especially when prefrosh cross the street and use the bathroom.

4. Make it Epic

When they return to the monotony of high school after Visitas, prefrosh will want to have stories to tell their friends. Help them out; give them an adventure. If all else fails, you can always lock them out of your room and then refuse to answer your phone.

On CampusFreshmenPrefroshVisitas

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.