How to Save a Life

•

UPDATED: April 26, 2013, at 9:22 a.m.

Nalini Ambady, a former associate professor of psychology at Harvard, is currently fighting for her life against leukemia. Ambady, who is now a professor at Stanford, has just seven weeks to find a bone marrow match before her next round of chemotherapy. According to the website nalinineedsyou.com, Ambady has a one in 20,000 chance of finding a matching donor.

The chances of finding a bone marrow donor on the registry are currently far smaller for her and others of South Asian descent than they are for the average person of Caucasian descent.

But tomorrow, you can do your part to increase Ambady's chances of finding a suitable donor. The Be The Match Registry of the National Marrow Donor Program will be hosting a donor drive in Annenberg on Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Regardless of whether or not you are of South Asian heritage, registering yourself as a bone marrow donor is a significant contribution to the fight against leukemia and other diseases.

There are numerous commonly held misconceptions about donating bone marrow. In reality, according to Be The Match, signing on to the bone marrow registry takes only a few minutes, the donation process involves a simple outpatient procedure, and the National Marrow Donor Program reimburses donors for any expenses involved.

For more information about Professor Ambady, check out NaliniNeedsYou.com and this short video that her friends and former students have created.

Update: According to a representative from Be The Match, the location of today's bone marrow donor drive has been changed and is now scheduled take place in Annenberg Hall from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

CollegeOn CampusGSASFacultyMedicineFaculty NewsFlyby Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.