Sober in the Square (and Beyond): Part II

This is Part II of Flyby's two-part Sober in the Square (and Beyond) mini-series. Check out Part I!

So, you want to get crazy on a Saturday night but you’d rather not wake up the next morning with beer all over your new dress and someone else’s underwear stuck to your shoe. All the events and activities on this list will ensure wild times, but no headache at practice the next morning.

1. Xmortis

10 Brookline St., Cambridge

If you shop at Hot Topic and write angsty poetry about how you’re so different from everyone else, you’ll fit right in at this old-school gothic dance club. You might have to get creative to conform to the dress code at Xmortis (the club’s website lists “batcaver,” “fetish,” and “Lolita” among its suggested styles), but two lauded DJs and an in-house band called Delilah Shameless ensure that you’ll be entertained through the night.

2. Doremi Karaoke

442 Cambridge St., Allston

Ask a Harvard student if he wants to sing karaoke, and he’ll obviously say “yes, but only if I can do it in thirteen different languages.” All possible at Doremi. This club provides private and party rooms for paying guests, each equipped with karaoke equipment, multilingual song books, a disco ball, and, rumor has it, tambourines.

3. The Donkey Show

2 Arrow St., Cambridge

Part disco dance party, part roller-skating derby, and part adaptation of Shakespeare’s "A Midsummer Night’s Dream." Don’t overthink it. It just works. The A.R.T. puts on this amazing show every Saturday at 10:30 p.m., so you really have no excuse not to go at least once.

4. Medieval Manor Theatre-Restaurant

246 E. Berkeley St., Boston

This is hands-on experience, literally, because you’ll be eating your dinner of roast chicken, salad, and soup sans utensils. Though “wenches” serve beer and wine, non-drinkers enjoy free refills of “virgin mead.” As you devour your messy meal, jesters and other medieval-style actors provide live entertainment. Eat, drink, and be merry, but try not to shake hands with anyone.

CollegeFood and DrinkFlyby City

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.