Harvard Today: Sept. 3, 2013

Harvard Today
Harvard Today

It may be Day 1 of the Fall 2013 semester, but it’s not Monday. All classes that normally meet on Tuesdays will meet today. If you need a break, treat yourself to an early afternoon trip to the Farmer’s Market for a demonstration by Joanne B. Chang '91 of Flour Bakery.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

The temperature will be in the high 70s—still incredibly humid—with a chance of rain. Pack an umbrella just in case, but keep your fingers crossed for a sunny first day of shopping week.

IN THE D-HALLS

Everything tastes good at the beginning of the semester—enjoy it while it lasts.

On the Lunch Menu:
Baked Penne Bolognese
Crispy Swai Fish Sandwich
Falafel Sandwich

On the Dinner Menu:
BBQ Chicken
Cider Steamed Mussels
Scheherazade Casserole: Bulgar, Tomato and Soybean Casserole

ON CAMPUS

Classes To Shop Today:
African and African American Studies 182: “From R & B to Neo Soul: Black Popular Music and Cultural Transformation,” 11 a.m., Music Building Paine Hall

Science of Living Systems 22: “Human Influence on Life in the Sea,” 11:30 a.m., Northwest Building B101

Literature 131: “The Arab-American Experience in Fiction, Film, and Popular Culture,” 1 p.m., Dana Palmer House Seminar Room

Anthropology 1400: “Quests for Wisdom: Religious, Moral and Aesthetic Experiences in the Art of Living,” 2 p.m., William James Hall 105

Events in the Square
Farmer’s Market
Market, 12 p.m. – 6 p.m. in Science Center Plaza
Demonstration by Joanne B. Chang '91 of Flour, 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.

OCS Events

Study Abroad 101
3 p.m. – 4 p.m., OIE Resource Room (77 Dunster St.)
Senior Orientation: The Job Search and On-Campus Interview Program (OCI)
4 p.m. – 5 p.m., Science Center, Hall C

OCI Finance Boutique Night
6 p.m. – 8 p.m., Harvard Faculty Club
View participating organizations here.

IN THE SQUARE

Free Cookies at Insomnia
Even amidst employee protests, Insomnia Cookies is in full cookie-delivering swing. The store is offering three free chocolate chunk cookies with all online orders. This only works when you order for delivery, not in-store pick-up. Split the cost of an order with your linkmates and enjoy the free extras.

Editor's Note: Flyby is pleased to introduce Harvard Today, a new daily series designed to keep you up to date on food, weather, special events, and other happenings—at Harvard and in the Square.

CollegeFood and DrinkCollege LifeHUDSHarvard SquareEventsAcademicsThe SquareFree FoodFlyby CampusHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.