Take an Intro Class as an Upperclassman

The sleeping student makes for the perfect prank target.

There’s nothing worse than walking into an Ec 10 lecture as a junior, except for maybe the declining elephant population—but let’s be honest, it’s kind of a toss-up. Yet for some reason, despite the fact that we are old enough to know better, and that all of our peers have already taken the classes, we find ourselves taking freshman intro classes as upperclassmen. It’s pretty embarrassing, so here are some tips for maintaining your reputation.

1. Lie Shamelessly

You should already be ashamed that you are in a freshman class; is lying really that much worse? So when your Math 1a or freshman seminar advisor assumes that you are a freshman, don’t correct him, let him think that your inability to finish readings on time stems from the “awkward transition period” in freshman fall, and not from your refusal to use your textbook in public.

2. Come to Class Early

The seven-minute rule doesn’t really apply to freshmen as they have yet to learn the basics of analog and still have the weird idea that coming to class early somehow correlates with higher midterm exam grades and getting punched for a final club. Regardless of why they do it, their promptness makes you look tardy. Your tardiness also doesn’t help. So start coming to class early. Two years early would probably be best, but seven minutes works as well.

3. Be Cool and Indifferent

Be the independent upperclassman who silently sits in section judging everyone who participates. If you are feeling ambitious, try sleeping in lecture. If you are super ambitious, try ditching class and sleeping in a different lecture. You will look cool, and more importantly, you will finally get your eight hours of sleep in.

On CampusAdvisingFreshmenFlyby Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.