Harvard Today: October 30, 2014

•
By Thomas W. Franck

Good morning, Harvard! It’s Thursday, which means it’s going to be Halloween really soon or maybe you’re even starting your festivities tonight! In the midst of midterm, paper, and perhaps sheer laziness (don’t worry, we’re not judging you at all), maybe you don’t have a Halloween costume yet and are desperately in need of a really easy one! Here are some last-minute Halloween costume ideas:

1) Lamonster: Draw dark circles under your eyes (or maybe they’re natural dark circles from all that sleep deprivation, yikes?!?), have greasy “I haven’t had the time to shower in so long” hair, a venti cup of coffee which you’ve been spending all your BoardPlus on, and hold a laptop in your hands (all the Lamont *pros* know not to take your whole bag when taking a break for dinner because who has time for a bag check when you’re going to come back anyways?).

2) French Fries: Wear a yellow top, grab a group of friends who are loyal enough to also wear yellow tops and follow you around at every party, and cut out red cardboard paper in the shape of a french fry container to put in front of everyone in time for pictures because pics or it didn’t happen obviously (this idea was stolen from American Apparel).

3) Red Dot, Yellow Dot, Green Dot: Self-explanatory as you and two friends can dress up in red, yellow and green– a versatile outfit since you can either be traffic lights which is kind of boring to be honest or the new HUDS health labels (aka built-in convo starter at parties once someone asks what you are).

4) Abercrombie model: Douse yourself in their signature perfume or cologne and either go shirtless like all the male models on their bags or wear any form of Dunster apparel.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

It’s going to be a nice day today! It’ll be sunny all day with a high of 58 and a zero percent chance of rain, yay! Fingers crossed that the weather stays like this for the Halloween weekend (Halloweekend?)!

IN THE D-HALL

Lunch:

Chicken Parmesan Sub
Cheese and Mushroom Quiche
Tofu Parmesan Sub

Dinner:

Korean Pork Stir Fry
Moroccan Roasted Chicken
Cajun Black Bean Cakes with Corn Salsa

ON FLYBY

10 Questions with Samarth Gupta, Freshman UC Rep: He emailed Valerie Biden Owen what?!?!

IN THE NEWS

1) Experts Discuss Potential for Another World War: "Experts disagreed whether tension between China and the U.S. in the East China Sea has the potential to escalate to global conflict on the scale of World War I by Oct. 2015 at the John F. Kennedy Jr. Forum on Wednesday night."

2) As Term Progresses, Bureau of Study Counsel Backed Up: "Many students who have sought peer tutoring from the Bureau of Study Counsel this fall are still waiting to be assigned tutors as the semester draws on, due in large part to high demand and a shortage of tutors."

3) Behind Closed Doors, Khurana Met with Unrecognized Social Clubs: “When student and graduate leaders of Harvard’s unrecognized social clubs convened for a routine meeting with College administrators earlier this month...new Dean of the College Rakesh Khurana opened the meeting with questions directly aimed at Harvard’s social scene and inclusivity, however, several attendees said the gathering turned out to be a more than hour-long discussion that touched on gender and diversity issues and prompted some pushback from the social club leaders in attendance."

EVENTS

Valerie Biden Owens is having her IOP Study Group today at 4 p.m. in Littaeur 166 at the Kennedy School. She will be speaking about politicians' body languages during campaigns.

The Harvard-Radcliffe Gilbert & Sullivan Players are opening their show tonight, The Gondoliers, at 8 p.m. at Agassiz Theater. Tickets are at a special price of $5 and the dress code is "creative black tie!"

The Harvard Organ Society is ringing in Halloween with a Midnight Halloween Organ Concert tonight at 11:55 p.m. in Memorial Church. Get there early at 11:30 to make sure you get free food!

PHOTO OF THE DAY

Supporters of the 'Carry That Weight' movement carry a mattress to advocate for victims of sexual and domestic violence throughout Wednesday. Inspired by Columbia University undergrad Emma Sulkowicz, the movement led a day of action on college campuses nationwide.

On CampusStudent LifeHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.