Harvard Today: November 14, 2014

•

By Alana M Steinberg

Good morning, Harvard! It’s the beginning of the long-awaited weekend (cue the ecstatic cheers)! Here’s a weekend playlist we put together, whether you’re looking to turn up for a party or turn down for your bed and TV show marathons:

1) Rather Be by Clean Bandit ft. Jess Glynne: Except we can think of 10 million places we’d rather be right now, like standing drunkenly at the football stadium for Harvard-Yale or at home for Thanksgiving dinner.

2) Try by Colbie Caillat: If you decided not to go out with your friends, and you’re at that point in the middle of the night when for some reason you want to relive your humiliating middle-school taste in music, Colbie Caillat is #perf. Remember when everyone talked about how their love for the cutest guy in 7th grade started in their toes and made them crinkle their nose?

3) Fireball by Pitbull ft. John Ryan: Because it’s Pitbull. Oh, and also is it too awkward to throwback to the Fireball recall that happened in Europe while taking shots of it to this song?

4) Shower by Becky G: Okay seriously, why is a song about singing in the shower so catchy?!?

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
Today's weather features a high of 44 degrees and a low of--brace yourselves--27. There is also a 90% chance of snow! We don’t know whether to be sad or excited about this, but we’re leaning towards excited. For now.

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch:
Crispy Flounder with Daikon Sauce
Meatball Sub
Jamaican Jerk Tofu

Dinner:
Baked Meatloaf
Homemade Fish Cakes
Multigrain Rotini Primavera with Kidney Beans

ON FLYBY
1) 7 Things Easier Than Filling Out a Plan of Study: Can someone’s CS50 final project please be revamping this website?

2) Harvard Shutters Stillman: What Next?: Philosophical question for the weekend– would closing Lamont be for the greater good?!?

IN THE NEWS
1) Study: Anti-HIV Drugs Shown Largely Safe for Pregnant Women: “The use of antiretroviral drugs—used to halt the progression of HIV—during pregnancy does not appear to predispose infants to birth defects, contrary to popular belief about the harmful effects of the medications, a School of Public Health study found.”

2) Faculty React to U.S.-China Climate Agreement: “Reacting to a recent agreement jointly declared by the U.S. and China to reduce carbon emissions, Harvard faculty members said they are optimistic about collaboration between the two countries, but caution that it is difficult to predict the outcomes of the agreement.”

3) Harvard Will Keep Controversial Health Plans, Faust Says, But Will Subsidize Some Affected Employees: “Amidst a storm of criticism surrounding recent changes to the benefit plans Harvard offers to non-union employees, University President Drew G. Faust wrote Thursday night that Harvard will keep the controversial changes in place for 2015 but will also establish a fund to mitigate cost increases for some employees and explore alternative plan designs for the future.”

4) Med School To Launch $750 Million Campaign: “Harvard Medical School is halfway toward its goal of raising $750 million in its piece of the ongoing University-wide capital campaign, the school announced Thursday afternoon.”

EVENTS: WEEKEND EDITION
There are some awesome theater options this weekend! Be sure to check out one, if not more!

Spring Awakening is playing in the Loeb Ex tonight, Saturday, and Sunday at 7:30 p.m. Tickets can be reserved by emailing springatharvard@gmail.com. The show does have some graphic content.

Bat Boy: The Musical has performances in Farkas Hall also tonight, Saturday, and Sunday at 7:30 p.m. tickets can be purchased at the Harvard Box Office or at the door.

Players is going up in the Adams Pool Theater also tonight, Saturday, and Sunday at 7:30 p.m. Tickets can be reserved by emailing playersharvard@gmail.com

Last but not least, Three Sisters has shows on the Loeb Mainstage tonight and tomorrow at 8 p.m. You can purchase your tickets at the Harvard Box Office or at the door.

Outside of theater, there are a bunch of other performances on campus this weekend. Keychange has an a capella performance tonight at 7 p.m. in Lowell Lecture Hall. The Harvard LowKeys also has an a capella performance Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in Sanders.

Andrea Gibson is doing a spoken word performance tonight at 7:30 p.m. in Science Center A. Tickets are available at the Harvard Box Office or at the door.

Harvard Women’s Basketball has it’s home opener against Colgate at 2 p.m. at Lavietes Pavillion. Go Crimson!

PHOTO OF THE DAY
The new location of Mike's Pastry offers an assortment of desserts, from the pictured cannolis to cookies and cream puffs. Mike's Pastry opened in Harvard Square on Thursday and is open seven days a week from 8am to 10pm.

On CampusStudent LifeHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.