Harvard Today: November 20, 2014

•

By Robert F Worley

Good morning, Harvard! When you’re not busy ranting (or listening to the Quadlings rant) about Community Dinner restrictions, just remember that today is your last day of Thursday classes this semester! Tell that cute kid in section you like them before it’s too late.

Here are a couple of reminders just in case you’ve been living under a rock (or without Wi-Fi) for the last few weeks:

- We’re one week away from Thanksgiving, which means you can expect HUDS to try its hand at Thanksgiving dinner tonight – complete with turkey, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie. Time to load up on the good stuff!

- UC voting ends at noon today, so be sure to cast those last-minute ballots to support your favorite candidates!

- The Game is on Saturday! If you haven’t gotten your ticket yet, make sure you do so between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. today and tomorrow at the Murr Center Ticket Office across the Charles. Don’t miss out, because there’s no telling when Harvard-Yale will be back (probably next year, and the year after that, and…).

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
Prepare yourselves for a warm up during the day! We’re expecting a high of 44 degrees, though it will drop to a low of 30 at night. Watch for a flurry or two in the a.m., with some sun peeking out in the afternoon. It’s still not pleasant enough to spend too much time outside though, so I guess we have to do our readings in our beds under our covers (bummer).

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch
Crispy Swai Fish Sandwich
Roasted Honey Lime Chicken
Tofu, Broccoli, and Walnut Stir Fry

Dinner
Cider Glazed Ham
Roast Turkey Breast
Fall Vegetable Stew

ON FLYBY
1) A Guide to Hosting Guests for Harvard-Yale: If you’re feeling gracious enough to rent an air mattress for your guest from Yale...

2) A Quick and Easy Guide to the UC Election: How to be a decently informed citizen before voting!

IN THE NEWS
1) Romance Languages and Literatures Endorses Smaller Sections: “Faculty, students and teaching fellows from the Romance Languages and Literatures department endorsed the Harvard Teaching Campaign, a movement urging the University to cap sections and lab groups at 12 students, on Tuesday.”

2) UC Reps Stay Outside Campaigns This Year as Final Voters Cast Ballots: "Students are turning out to vote in high numbers even as Undergraduate Council representatives withhold endorsements from a crowded council presidency race entering its final day."

3) ArtLifting To Sell Artwork by Homeless Artists at Harvard-Yale: "A recently created online marketplace that sells artwork created by homeless or disadvantaged artists will be selling select pieces at the Harvard-Yale football game this weekend. The marketplace, Artlifting.com, has already helped individuals earn several thousand dollars."

IN FM
1) 
Playing With The Rules: On many teams across the league, players work with the system to get the most out of their four years of eligibility. Some might do it to improve their professional prospects, but most are simply looking to be more competitive, help their team, and play the game they love for a little bit longer.

EVENTS
Harvard Society for Mind, Brain, and Behavior is hosting a discussion on artificial intelligence with Dr. David Duvenaud. How can AI do modeling and forecasting? Find out at 4 p.m in Barker Center Room 12.

The Department of English is sponsoring a lecture by Cornell Professor Jonathan Culler called “Lyric Evidence.” The event is free and open to the Harvard community and the public. Stop by Fong Auditorium at 5 p.m.

Ann Marimow, a legal reporter for The Washington Post, will speak at 7:00 p.m. in Harvard Hall 103. Marimow studies the law and its intersection with politics and journalism, examining conflicts between US national security interests, privacy protections, and press freedoms.

The premiere of Seneca’s Medea, translated by the Harvard Classics Club, opens tonight. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned! Tickets can be acquired by emailing harvardmedea@gmail.com. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. in the Adams Pool Theater.

PHOTO OF THE DAY
Harvard Head Football Coach Tim Murphy says he helps connect roughly two players a year with prep schools that will help them develop academically and athletically.

On CampusStudent LifeHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.