Harvard Today: March 11, 2014

•
Harvard Today
Harvard Today

By Jennifer Y Yao

Happy Tuesday!

Enjoy today’s breezy weather as foreshadowing of the spring break to come. You will literally almost be able to feel it. Crack open a window and soak up some sun before retreating back to your personal cave of papers, midterms, and projects. The end is in sight.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

Tomorrow’s high is a downright balmy 54 degrees, with sunshine forecasted for the entire afternoon. Break out the flip flops and the tank tops, everybody, this is basically our first official day of summer. And maybe also our last—there’s a storm coming in on Thursday that’s supposed to drop off 4-8 inches of snow. Bottom line: Enjoy the sun while you can.

IN THE D-HALLS

Lunch:
Honey Stung Fried Chicken
Grape and Mozzarella Pizza
Tofu Panaeng Curry

Dinner:
Swai With Honey Ginger Glaze
Fusilli Primavera with Kidney Beans

ON FLYBY

The Quad Houses are up on the the 2014 Housing Market, so check out the profiles for Cabot, Currier, and Pfoho, also spelled as F-U-C-K-T-H-E-Q-U-A-D.

IN THE NEWS

1) UC Says Gender Neutral Housing Will Go to Faculty for Vote. The Faculty of Arts and Sciences will likely vote to lower restrictions on gender-neutral housing sometime this spring.

2) Kirkland Housing Day Videos Spark Controversy, Conversation. Kirkland released 10 housing day videos this year, but promptly took them down after they were met with backlash from students.

3) Pantry’s Closure Will Leave Void in Harvard Square Daytime Homeless Services. “Bread and Jams drop-in shelter serves the daytime needs of Harvard Square’s homeless population by providing hot meals and a warm place to stay five days a week. But recent changes in federal funding for homelessness services will force the shelter to shut its doors on March 25 after decades in operation.”

EVENTS

Men’s Volleyball plays Marymount at 7 p.m. at the Athletics Complex (65 North Harvard Street)

Visit Sanders Theatre at 4 p.m. tomorrow for a lecture titled “Meanings of Mandela”, a discussion on the life and legacy of Nelson Mandela. Tickets are required and available at the Harvard Box Office for free.

Looking for a job at the Department of State, Defense, Justice, Homeland Security, or the Social Security Administration? Stop by the Institute of Politics at 7 p.m., where IOP Fellow Liz Montoya will be hosting the chief human capital officers of each of these departments. Dinner will be served. RSVP at IOP_ICS@hks.harvard.edu.

PHOTO OF THE DAY

Herbie Hancock, jazz pianist and keyboardist, speaks about melding science and music through his personal experiences on Monday in Sanders Theatre. Hancock spoke about "Innovation and New Technologies" as the fourth lecture in his "The Ethics of Jazz" series.

Flyby CampusHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.