Harvard Today: Visitas Weekend - April 25-27, 2014

By Y. Kit Wu

Happy Friday! You’ve made it to the weekend, and as we all know it’s not just any weekend—it’s Visitas! Whether you’re excited for a prefrosh-filled weekend or not, here’s Flyby’s guide to handling Visitas:

For the prefrosh who keeps asking you what he/she should bring for this weekend: Yes, you should probably bring shower flip flops. No, you should probably not bring that massive list of other prestigious colleges you got into and can’t decide between.

If you don’t want your prefrosh to be a social embarrassment while he/she follows you around this weekend: Just think of the uncomfortable period of silence that’ll ensue after your prefrosh tells your friends in conversation that they’re going to an event in “C.G.I.S.” instead of “See-jiss.” Awkward.

If your prefrosh is live-tweeting his/her weekend on the 2018 Facebook page: They might as well read up on the proper way to achieve Facebook stardom. And just incase they need examples of success stories, tell them to read about the Class of 2017 Facebook celebrities.

If you get a really annoying prefrosh: Tell them that the fact that the toaster at Annenberg is at least 15 steps away from the bread is seriously making you consider transferring to another school.

And if your prefrosh is Kwasi Enin: We wrote an open letter to you—yes, that’s how much we want you here.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
We’re in for fairly mediocre weather this weekend! It’ll be sunny and a high of 63 degrees during the day on Friday, but there’s a high chance of rain at night. It’ll be rainy all of Saturday and mostly cloudy on Sunday. Well, at least the prefrosh will get an accurate sense of the weather here.

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch:
Chicken and Swiss Melt on Whole Wheat Panini
Multigrain Penne with Salmon and Vodka Sauce
Samosa with Tamarind Chutney

Dinner:
Calamari Paella
Spanish-Style Roasted Chicken
Vegetable Paella (wow, talk about variety!)

ON FLYBY
Confessions of a Harvard “Beez-er”: Wait, so what happens when you apply Burt’s Bees lip balm to your eyelids?!

Hang Out With Your Classmates Over Summer (If You're Not Sick of Them): Check out Luke R. Heine's '17 project, where you can travel the world and hang out with your classmates!

IN THE NEWS
‘Harvard Not Fair’ Seeks Rejected Applicants for Race-Based Affirmative Action Suit: “In an effort to critique Harvard’s race-based affirmative action policies, the legal defense fund Project on Fair Representation launched a site earlier this month seeking for a possible lawsuit students who claim they were not admitted to Harvard because of their race.”

Registrar’s Office Launches Online Transcript Delivery Service: “Students and alumni will now be able to order and send their official transcripts electronically through a new online delivery service launched Monday by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Registrar’s Office in an effort to maximize delivery efficiency, cut down on processing time, and simplify online applications.”

McCain Calls for Decisive Stance on Russia at Forum: “Arizona Senator John McCain outlined his foreign policy views at the JFK Jr. Forum Monday evening, focusing on the conflict between Russia and Ukraine and offering an impassioned argument for why the United States should intervene in Syria.”

EVENTS: WEEKEND PREVIEW
It’s Visitas weekend, which means there’s going to be a lot of events on campus, so check out here where you can have lots of fun (with or without a prefrosh) and get free food!

PSA: DAPA is working on a new initiative to bring food trucks to the Quad during weekend nights, and they're piloting the program this Saturday from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. with the Chicken and Rice Guys. Be sure to check this out if you're going to be in the Quad Saturday night!

There are a lot of shows opening up this weekend! Cabot Theatre Company’s How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying has a free show tonight at 7:30 p.m. at the Cabot House Musical Theatre, and also shows at 2 p.m. tomorrow and 7:30 p.m. on Sunday for $8. The Office for the Arts presents The Drowsy Chaperone tonight at 8 p.m. in Farkas Hall with a special 1920’s themed opening! It will also be running at 8 p.m. tomorrow and 2 and 7 p.m. on Sunday. The Harvard-Radcliffe Dramatic Club presents Penelope tonight at 8 p.m. in the Loeb Drama Center, and at the same time on Saturday and Sunday.

The UC and CEB are having a Beyonce dance party tonight at 10 p.m. in Northwest Labs. It’s open to everyone with an HUID plus one, and with a name like “We Bey All Night,” how can you resist?

The Harvard Undergraduate Drummers, THUD, is putting on its concert, THUD Island, at Lowell Lecture Hall tonight at 8 p.m. The concert is free for prefrosh, so why not take them to an awesome percussion show?

There’s going to be an Pan-Asian BBQ going on at the Science Center Plaza from 3 to 5 p.m. on Saturday, hosted by some of Harvard’s largest cultural organizations. There’s free food, so why not?

Harvard’s tap dancing company, TAPS, is putting on a show on Saturday at 5 p.m. at the Lowell Lecture Hall. Tickets are $5 for prefrosh and $8 for students.

The UC and the Harvard Political Union are putting on a Harvard-Yale debate, in which UC president Gus Mayopoulos contends with former UC president-elect and Yale tour guide Sam Clark about which school reigns supreme. It’ll be at 7 p.m. in Science Center E.

Then right afterwards in the same place, check out The Immediate Gratification Players, IGP, who are having a special Visitas improv comedy show on from 8 to 9 p.m. It'll be hilarious!

Eleganza, the charity fashion show, is on Saturday night at 8 p.m. at the Lavietes Pavillion! Tickets are $15 for this show, and proceeds go to Center for Teen Empowerment.

The Harvard Holden Choruses and the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra are putting on Verdi Requiem on Saturday at 8 p.m. at Sanders Theatre. Tickets are $10.

Harvard Hillel is holding a Visitas Bagel Brunch at 10:30 a.m. in the courtyard, so bring your prefrosh for some free bagels that didn’t come from the d-hall!

The Harvard Environmental Action Committee is celebrating its annual Earth Day on Sunday from 12 to 4 p.m. in the MAC Quad. This year’s theme is Water: Our Most Valuable Resource, and there will be tons of free food (including Boloco, Taza chocolate, and ice cream), free Nalgenes, face painting, daisy chains, live music, and more!

PHOTO OF THE DAY
Senator John S. McCain of Arizona speaks of foreign policy in Asia and Eastern Europe at the Institute of Politics on Wednesday evening.

Student LifeVisitasFlyby CampusHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.