Harvard Today: April 9, 2014

By Rohan W. Goel

Happy Wednesday! It’s hump day, we’re all filled with the mid-week blues, and for some reason we find solace in explaining to our friends every reason why our lives are terrible at the moment. Here are some trivial complaints you may be having this week:

1) Advising Fortnight: Freshmen not only have to start thinking about their futures, and get term-billed if they don’t?!

2) Nice weather: So the weather’s finally starting to clear up (maybe), but does that mean the start of allergy season?

3) Spotify ads: Your midterm study music playlist is interrupted by weird ads that know when you minimize your volume to avoid listening to it.

4) Ben & Jerry’s Free Cone Day yesterday: No love for the lactose-intolerant.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
The good streak of weather continues! Today will be mostly sunny and a high of 57 degrees. Aren’t we all glad that our spring wardrobe is finally being put to use?

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch:
Chicken Breast with Tomato Basil Salsa
Ham and Swiss Sandwich on Rye
Margarita Pizza on Multigrain Crust

Dinner:
Beef Shepherd’s Pie
Korean BBQ Chicken
Curry Almond Lentil Bake

ON FLYBY
1) 3/2 - 3/30: Disturbing, Unsolicited Serenaders- The Securitas Series is back, this time with someone urinating on a welcome mat and an officer being called to snooze an alarm clock.

2) The Real Skinny: Harvard Books Not Bound in Human Flesh- So apparently one of the books is covered in sheep skin, what?

3) Zuckerberg’s Welcome: Kind Gesture, or Selfish Plot?- But really, why did one of Harvard’s most well-known dropouts feature in a welcome video for the Class of 2018?

IN THE NEWS
4) Humble and Faithful, Andrew Sun ‘16 Was Quick to Listen, Friends Say- “Whether he was on the basketball court or in a Bible study, friends and teachers remembered Andrew ‘Andy’ Sun ’16 as a bright student, a humble listener, and a passionate spiritual mentor.”

5) Entertainment Attorney Donates $5 Million to Harvard Law School- “Entertainment lawyer, author, and Harvard Law School graduate Bertram Fields has donated $5 million to the Law School to endow a professorship in his name, the school announced last week.”

ON ARTS
6) The Creationists- “While most students who write theses choose to demonstrate their academic scholarship through critical papers, each year a select group of students opts for a different path: the creative thesis. The work produced by undergraduates who are awarded creative theses varies widely with regard to medium as well as subject matter.”

EVENTS
The Harvard University Center for the Environment and the Harvard China Project are presenting a new lecture series entitled “China 2035: Energy, Climate, and Development” at 3 p.m. until 4 p.m. today in Science Center A. Today’s talk will feature Robert Zoellick, former president of the World Bank.

Interested in consulting? Find out more at the OCS’ panel discussion today called Consulting 101: Introduction to the Industry from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. at 54 Dunster Street.

The OCS is also holding the Harvard Social Impact Expo today from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Gutman Conference Center on 6 Appian Way. Network with non-profit and mission-driven organizations!

PHOTO OF THE DAY
Mallory J. Weiss '15 is writing an original play for her creative thesis.

Student LifeFlyby CampusHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.