Harvard Today: January 28, 2015

•
Students sled down the front steps of Widener Library Tuesday, making use of a rare snow day on campus as a blizzard descends on the Boston area. The University has historically only closed for select major weather events.

By Alana M Steinberg

Good morning, Harvard, and happy Wednesday! We’re sure you’re super psyched to be back to classes and shopping week after yesterday’s snow day. Snowball fights, sledding down Widener steps and drinking hot chocolate could never replace the blissful joy of fresh syllabi, awkward introductory lectures, or learning that class you’re in love with has a final exam and a term paper. But hey, this way study card day’s a little closer! Now that’s truly the dream.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
Today will be mostly sunny, with a high of 26 and a low of a depressing 1 degree. The snow’s finally stopped, but it’s definitely sticking around for a while. (Read: mid April).

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch
Chicken Tikka Masala
Salmon Burger with Fresh Spinach
Whole Wheat Penne with Wild Mushroom Ragout

Dinner
Bacon
Multigrain Penne with Chicken and Broccoli
Roasted Pork Loin with Cream Mushroom Sauce
Cranberry Baked French Toast

ON FLYBY
1) HUPD Police Log: While You Were Away…: Check out the highlights from the HUPD police log while you were safe at home over break.

IN THE NEWS
1) On Rare Snow Day, Students Sled, Assist Dining Hall Staff: “As “potentially historic” levels of snow fell on Cambridge and Harvard canceled all but its non-essential operations on Tuesday amid a state of emergency, Houses offered up space to accommodate dining hall workers and students spent a rare snow day sledding down library steps.”
2) HBS Professor Named President of Bowdoin College: “Harvard Business School Professor Clayton S. Rose will assume the presidency of Bowdoin College in July, according to a college-wide email released Monday by Chair of the Bowdoin College Board of Trustees Deborah Jensen Barker. The Bowdoin board of trustees unanimously approved a search committee’s unanimous decision to select Rose for the role Monday morning.”
3) Currier House Master Takes Spring Sabbatical: “Currier House Master Richard W. Wrangham will take a sabbatical this spring while remaining in residence in the House. Wrangham’s co-master, Elizabeth A. Ross, will perform most formal House master duties, such as attending administrative meetings, while he is on sabbatical, Wrangham said.”
4) College Women’s Center Names New Director: “Naisha Bradley, who for nine years served as program director of the Kennedy School of Government’s Women and Public Policy Program, has been named the new director of the Harvard College Women’s Center.”

ON SPORTS
1) Harvard Athlete of the Winter: Junior Jimmy Vesey: “In the last 10 years, three Harvard men’s ice hockey players have scored more than 15 goals in a season. Alex Killorn ’12 netted 23 in 2011-2012. Dan Murphy ’06 had 18 in 2005-2006. And junior forward Jimmy Vesey has 17 in 2014-2015.”

EVENTS
Head over to Longfellow Hall at 5:30 p.m. for an Askwith Forum talk on the future of teacher unionism. Guests include Lily Eskelsen Garcia, the President of the National Education Association.

The Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations is hosting a discussion called The P Word: Understanding and Navigating Privilege at Harvard tonight at 7:30 p.m. in Ticknor Lounge. All are welcome and chai will be served.

PHOTO OF THE DAY
Students are sledding down the Widener steps making good use of a rare day off. In its history, the university has only closed down rarely for severe weather events.

Student LifeFlyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.