Harvard Today: October 8, 2015

•
Goksenin Akdeniz ‘18 and Bruno Moguel Gallegos ‘18 spend time in the yard on Wednesday afternoon. They were two of many students trying to enjoy the warmth before the arrival of colder weather.
Goksenin Akdeniz ‘18 and Bruno Moguel Gallegos ‘18 spend time in the yard on Wednesday afternoon. They were two of many students trying to enjoy the warmth before the arrival of colder weather. By Marinda R. Horan

Today is Thursday, October 8, 2015. On this day in history in 1956, Don Larsen pitched a perfect World Series game between the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Yankees. Today in Harvard, if you’re looking to unwind after a week of midterms, DAPA is hosting a BYOBlanket Outdoor Movie Night from 7 to 9 p.m. in the Kirkland Courtyard, and there will be free popcorn and apple cider.

IN THE DHALL

Lunch
Teriyaki Chicken with Scallions and Garlic
Grilled Cheddar Sandwich with Tomato and Red Onion

Dinner
Diced Pork
Spanish-Style Roast Chicken
Succotash with Edamame

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

Today is going to be sunny and a high of 63 degrees, with a zero percent chance of rain.

ON FLYBY

The Flyby Matchmaker is Back (With New Improvements)!

Looking to spice up your love life? We can help you there- and pay for your date too.

Listen Up! Returns Better Than Ever
You have burning questions about your life. Sara and Dev want to answer them.

IN THE NEWS

At the Margin: Harvard Economics’ Precarious Spot on Top

But with one star professor’s decision to leave the school at the end of the year, Harvard may not only have lost its 27th Nobel. It may have lost its footing at the top of economics academia.

Harvard Foundation Interns Critique Event Honoring Nikki Haley
Last week’s Harvard Foundation dinner honoring South Carolina Governor Nikki R. Haley has come under fire from students—including the foundation’s interns—who questioned whether the governor deserved recognition for advancing racial justice.

Elliott Draws on Scholarship as International Affairs Provost
Mark C. Elliott, a professor in East Asian Languages and Civilizations and a renowned scholar of Chinese history, has been bringing his expertise in Chinese affairs to Harvard’s administration since he became Harvard's second-ever vice provost for international affairs.

Dining Halls Serves Up Local Marinara
This summer, Harvard University Dining Services partnered with local food entrepreneur Karl Dias to turn 120,000 pounds of tomatoes into 14,000 gallons of the local marinara sauce, a new offering in the College's 13 undergraduate dining halls.

EVENTS

Candy Crowley’s IOP Study Group is today at 4 p.m. in IOP L166. She will be addressing questions about polling with special guest CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

BYOBlanket Outdoor Movie Night tonight at 7 p.m. in the Kirkland Courtyard. There will be free apple cider and popcorn.

The Son Also Rises is going on tonight at 8 p.m. at the Adams Pool Theater.

The Harvard Undergraduate Humanities Initiative presents Arts, Humanities, and the Environment tonight at 8 p.m. in the Barker Center Cafe. There will be cookies, fruit, tea and a discussion about arts-activism of environmentalism.

The Intrinsics are hosting the College Brain Break at the Queens Head tonight at 9:30 p.m. There will be free food and refreshments for those 21+.

Flyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.