Flyby's Gift Guide

•
A cute terrarium for your plant-loving friend at Brattle Square Florist.
A cute terrarium for your plant-loving friend at Brattle Square Florist. By Brittany N. Ellis

The advent of reading period means more than just late nights in Lamont and increased intake of caffeine– it’s also the start of gift giving season. Whether you’re looking for a gift for your roommate, a new friend from class, or partaking in entryway or house “Secret Snowflake”, it can be stressful to find something that’s both unique and student-budget conscious.

Behold, the Flyby Gift Guide (no assembly or trust funds required):

For the friend from warmer climates:
We all have that one friend who lives in denial about the impending cold weather, no matter how many times the Starks have told them that “Winter is Coming”. Save your friend from their ignorance (and frostbite) with Harvard-branded winter gear such as gloves, hats, or scarves. They'll thank you when Cambridge treats us all to a winter that doesn't end until it's suddenly summer.

For the friend that’s already bought a ticket for the new Star Wars movie:
You’ll score extra points with your friend that loves the franchise and is already preparing for the premier with the R2D2, Stormtrooper, and Darth Vader portable phone chargers at Urban Outfitters. The chargers are at the higher end of the budget at $25, so if you’re looking for something a little cheaper, check out the Star Wars playing cards at The Million Year Picnic or cool vintage ones on Amazon for around $10.

For the artist:
The Bob Slate Stationery store has a selection of artist trading cards: sets of wallet-sized canvas, paper, and illustrator board sheets. At only $2.95, you could pick up a couple of Le Pen illustrator pens ($1.95 each) for a customizable, miniature art set.

For the eco-warrior:
Help bring the great outdoors into your nature-loving friend’s dorm room with a mini terrarium from the Brattle Square Florist. A complete terrarium is about $15, but there is also wide range of succulents and cacti that are planted in cute individual pots. If you’re feeling particularly adventurous, give your friend an air plant; no soil is required for these cool organisms, making them perfect for a dorm room.

For the tea connoisseur:
It can be intimidating to buy for this friend. Oolong, chai, rooibos, darjeeling? Skip the guessing and opt for the Almigh’Tea Bag from Black Ink on Brattle St. The reusable tea infuser comes in three colors, works with all leaf types, and is easily washable. Best of all, it’s only $7.50.

For the friend who’s still waiting on their Hogwarts letter:
While this friend most likely wants a coveted ticket to eagerly awaited theater production, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, they’ll also be thrilled with the beautiful new illustrated Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone book. It’s available with Amazon Student for $22 (and free shipping!), but can also be found for a bit more at the Coop–just make sure to bring your student ID to get the discount.

Other gift ideas include T fare into the city for a day spent together at the New England Aquarium, the Museum of Fine Arts, or in the North End sampling cannoli from Mike’s, Modern Pastry, and Cafe Vittoria. Finally, check out the the $3 flash sales at Raven Books; there are often great classics as well as more unknown titles, which would make a perfect surprise for the bibliophile in your life.

Flyby BlogChristmasyes please

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.