Guide to Columbus Day Weekend

By Courtesy of Valerie Elefante

This weekend is Columbus day weekend, and while your family is going on an annual apple picking day trip, we’ve reached the point in the semester where you instead are likely living the life of a Lamonster. Fortunately, Flyby is here to tell with tips about how to take advantage of this weekend.

Dress the Part

As you scroll through your Instagram newsfeed, you’ll spot ample fall sweaters, boots, and maybe corduroys, all of which you may or may not need to add to your wardrobe. Consider taking a trip to see the fall clothing sales on Newbury and Boylston. There you’ll not only find the best 2016 fall styles, but also at the best prices of the season.

Embrace the Fall Foliage

Your family doesn’t have to be the only ones connecting with nature this Columbus day weekend. Contrary to popular belief, city dwellers have ample access to farms and fall foliage. Rent a Zipcar with your roommates and choose from about five farms within a 20-mile radius of campus. This is surely to be a more “authentic” farm animal experience than the caged animals in front of the Science Center each Tuesday.

Engage with the Boston Community

Each year on Columbus Day nearly every city or town in some way or another hosts a Columbus Day Parade. Boston’s parade happens to be one of the best in the country, filled with various bands and forms of entertainment, military and political personal, vintage cars, and, most importantly, Duck Boat Floats. Come hungry, as the parade also celebrates Boston’s Italian heritage. It is important to note that the parade is on Sunday, not on Columbus Day itself because naturally the Columbus Day Parade should be the day before Columbus Day.

Flyby BlogFlyby CampusFlyby Culture

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.