Fashion Guide: Strange, Unpredictable Weather Edition

Flyby co-chair Kat represents her home state with a Yankees hat.

As college students, we see a wide range of fashion styles on campus. There’s that kid that you think should probably start a fashion line (and since it’s Harvard, he or she probably already has). And then there’s that other one you’re not entirely certain owns pants that aren’t flannel.

But all of us, from the Paris-bound fashionistas to the ones who clearly just rolled out of bed, have been thrown into utter confusion. ‘Why?’ you may ask. Three words: This. Freaking. Weather. Although it’s only February, here in Cambridge we are experiencing spring-like weather almost every day. That’s enough to cause chaos in anyone’s closet. If you too are struck by the impossible dilemma of figuring out how to dress yourself every morning, we’ve compiled some tips.

Make scarves a regular part of your wardrobe
Scarves are your best friends in these strange times. First and foremost, scarves are a trendy fashion statements. You can pair a patterned scarf with pretty much any plain shirt or sweater. Scarves are also very versatile, a necessity in such temperamental weather. You can tie them loosely around your neck when it’s warm, or bundle them up once the sun sets and it gets chilly. In desperate times, a scarf can double as a shawl or a blanket. And for the truly lazy, why not just bring your blanket with you as a makeshift scarf?

Flyby exec Kyle rocks a scarf—versatile AND fashionable!
Flyby exec Kyle rocks a scarf—versatile AND fashionable! By Kyle E. O' Hara

Don’t leave the house without at least a light jacket
“Yeah, thanks a lot, mom,” you’re probably thinking. But we’re serious! Despite how optimistic you may be feeling, this weather changes as often and as frequently as your schedule now that sectioning assignments are coming out. You shouldn’t be the sad person caught outside in a strong wind without a jacket. Look through your closet, and find a warm sweatshirt or light jacket that you really like to throw on over your clothes every day. Pro tip: Some winter jackets come with an inner liner jacket. Check to see if yours does, and you can use that for a while.

Flyby co-chair Eva keeps warm and protected from the wind in a jacket that's perfect for unseasonable weather.
Flyby co-chair Eva keeps warm and protected from the wind in a jacket that's perfect for unseasonable weather. By Eva S. Monroe

Glue a hat to your head (not actually)Hats are truly all that is right in this world. Whether you’re into beanies, ski hats, or bomber hats, find something that covers your ears. Hats, much like scarves, can be a great way to add some contrasting color to your wardrobe. They’re also great for this time because it’s still technically winter, and therefore totally acceptable to be wearing a hat. Maybe even earmuffs, if you’re bold...actually, maybe not. Keeping your head and ears warm is a good way to feel a little warmer regardless of what you’re wearing for the rest of your outfit. So find yourself some suitable headgear and never let it go.

Flyby co-chair Kat represents her home state with a Yankees hat. By Katherine J. Cohen
Flyby BlogFlyby CampusFlyby Front Feature

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.