This Week at Harvard: Movies and Music Around the City

•
Musician Ashford L. King '15 performs for crowds on the Science Center Plaza on Tuesday afternoon. The performance was a part of the Mural Speaks project, aimed at translating a poem into 140 languages.

We really do still want to be out and about making the most of our time off from school—but the summer laziness is also real. At this point, a lot of us aren’t necessarily looking to do anything that requires too much effort. And it doesn’t get much more low key than watching movies and listening to music. This week, Flyby is filling you in on film and live music events in and around Cambridge—all you have to do is get yourself there, then sit back and enjoy.

By Thomas W. Franck

“Pulp Fiction”
Monday at 7 p.m. | Coolidge Corner Theatre

Start your week by venturing outside the Harvard bubble to see this cult classic playing in Brookline. It’s a bit of a commute, but worth it for the chance to see Tarantino’s iconic film on the big screen.

“Raiders!: The Story of the Greatest Fan Film Ever Made”
Monday at 9:30 p.m. | The Brattle Theatre

Watching this documentary about three guys who created a shot for shot adaptation of “Raiders of the Lost Ark” was probably not initially in your plans for the day, but if the idea of anything Indiana Jones related isn’t enough to get you out tonight, the Brattle’s delicious popcorn might be.

Music at the Farmers’ Market
Tuesday at noon | The Science Center Plaza

Pick up some local treats at the Farmers’ Market, then kick back and listen to this week’s featured music at the Plaza. The lineup starts with indie-folk duo Strangers by Accident at noon, Harvard student Kate Diaz ’19 at 1:30 p.m., and cover band Malibu Sands Beach Club at 4:30 p.m.

Karaoke Night at Charlie’s Kitchen
Tuesday at 8 p.m. | Charlie’s Kitchen

Charlie’s Kitchen boasts not only a beer garden and burgers, but also a weekly karaoke night. Don’t miss the chance to take the mic and live your American Idol fantasy this Tuesday.

Caribbean soul group Zili Misik
Thursday at 8 p.m. | The Beat Brasserie

For a change of pace, head to the Beat Brasserie in Harvard Square on Thursday for some good food and atmosphere featuring Zili Misik’s “New World Soul” music.

Outdoor Movie: “Cinderella”
Friday at sundown | DCR’s Hatch Shell

This 2015 remake may not be able to compete with the original “Cinderella,” but the weather’s looking warm for Saturday—so why not take advantage of this opportunity to enjoy a free movie by the river?

Midnight Movie: “Fright Night”
Saturday at 11:59 p.m. | Somerville Theatre

If you’re daunted by a) horror movies b) staying up past 12 a.m. or c) both of the above, this event is probably not for you. But to those late-night cinefiles up for something scary, Somerville Theatre is the place to be on Saturday night.

New Movies on Netflix!
Anytime, anywhere

If going outside this week doesn’t appeal to you, you’re still in luck. Netflix has added a whole slew of movies and shows this month, including Oscar winners “The Big Short” and “Spotlight.” If you’re feeling nostalgic, “Mean Girls” and the “Back to the Future” trilogy are also available to stream whenever the mood strikes.

Flyby CampusFlyby CultureFlyby City

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.