To Nap or Not to Nap?

•
Students napping
Students napping

So it's 2 in the afternoon and you're starting to feel kind of drowsy. Maybe it's all of those lectures you've been sitting through, or maybe you went just a little overboard last night at your entryway's kickback. Either way, now you're stuck with what is perhaps the greatest dilemma you will face during your time at Harvard besides whether you should do a thesis or not: to nap, or not to nap? Luckily for you, Flyby has the answer—and it's nowhere near as complicated as Shakespeare's convoluted advice.

By Saperaud /Wikimedia Commons

Did you...?

...get a solid 8-10 hours of sleep last night?

“I always get the optimal amount of sleep for my health,” said nobody ever But, on the off chance this is you, the overwhelming answer is NO, don't take a nap! You owe it to the rest of us bleary-eyed night owls to make the most of your alert and productive brain. Trust me, you’ll thank us later when you’re relaxing in your bed while your roommates trudge off to Lamont.

...sleep at all last night?

Okay, so you didn’t exactly get your beauty sleep. Was it 5 hours? 2? Either way, you're probably crabby and not thinking very well. You're pretty sure that guy you just said “'Sup” to was actually your professor. In any case, it won't hurt to get a little extra rest before your next class. Napping is definitely the call.

...pull an all-nighter?

You stayed awake all night for a reason, didn't you? Hurry up and finish that assignment. Honestly, are a few more hours awake really going to hurt? But if you pulled more than one consecutive all-nighter (you unnatural creature), then no p-set is worth it. In fact, why are you wasting your time reading this post when you could be hitting the sack?

CollegeOn CampusStudent LifeHealthSleep

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.