What To Do This Summer: Museums, Markets, and More

•
The Harvard Bookstore at the corner of Plympton St. and Mass. Ave.
The Harvard Bookstore at the corner of Plympton St. and Mass. Ave. By Grace R. Ramsdell

In the second installment of Flyby’s response to “oh my gosh, what on earth can I do this summer,” we’re bringing you suggestions for destinations inside and out of Cambridge. Take a tour, buy a little something for yourself, and maybe even pick up a cheap summer read. (See part one on outdoor activities and part three on shows around town.)

Explore a nearby museum

This summer, take advantage of the free admittance privileges extended to Harvard students at many nearby museums. Peruse Harvard’s own art or natural history museums, or journey into Boston to visit the Museum of Fine Art, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, or the Institute of Contemporary Art.

(MFA: Red Line to Green Line to Museum of Fine Arts. Gardner: Red Line to Green Line to Longwood. ICA: Red Line to South Station.)

Get a tour of the Taza Chocolate Factory

When you see “Taza,” you might immediately think, “too expensive.” You’re right—$7.50 for a chocolate bar is questionable at best. However, a tour of the Taza factory in Somerville will only cost you 50 cents more! Finally you can realize your childhood “Willy Wonka” dream, and get some good chocolate samples in the bargain.

Visit the Aquarium

The New England Aquarium is not cheap (adult tickets are $27.95, to be exact), but the good news is that college students can get in for a whole $2 less than everybody else! Those penguins and clown fish better brace themselves—we’re coming. If nothing else, a trip to the aquarium is a good excuse to get out of Cambridge and enjoy a day by the water at the wharf.

(Red Line to Downtown Crossing.)

Stop by a Cambridge market

If you’re looking to chow down on some food (who isn’t?) or support local artists, stop by any of the open air markets in the Cambridge area this summer. On Tuesdays, Harvard Square is home to its own farmer’s market on the Science Center Plaza, but if you’re looking to mix it up, don’t miss the open market scene in Central Square on Mondays or Kendall Square on Thursdays.

Journey to a Boston market

Feeling adventurous? Take the Red Line to the South End any weekend for the SoWa Open Market—home to food trucks, a farmer’s market, an arts market, and a super cool vintage market. You can also head to Copley Square for an open market on Tuesdays and Fridays to get your hands on some local products that we’re sure you’ll enjoy.

(SoWa Open Market: Red Line to Broadway. Copley Square Market: Red Line to Green Line to Copley.)

Shop on “Fiction Fridays” at the Harvard Bookstore

Jump start your summer reading quest with some purchases at Harvard Bookstore. Every Friday this summer, they are offering 15% off of fiction, mystery, science fiction, mythology, poetry, and graphic novels. With a deal like that, who could resist making a few impulse buys?

Hang out at the Cambridge Public Library

Flyby BlogFlyby Front FeatureFlyby Front

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.