Gold-plated chandeliers, dark-paneled walls, and plush carpeting adorn one of the first-floor dining rooms the Faculty Club.
Faculty today take potential hires and visiting scholars out to the Faculty Club for lunch or dinner. Although professors rave about the quality of food and the service, he bill for a meal at the Club can easily tally over 30 dollars per person.
The Club was erected in 1929 with the help of a $25,000 grant from then-anonymous donor Allston Burr. Its construction would eventually cost twelve times that amount. (Source: Harvard University Archives, HUB 1380)
A proposal for membership dating from the Club’s early days requires that any candidate’s request be seconded by at least one Club member. (Source: Harvard University Archives, HUD 1380, Box #9)
Faculty members recall the quality of the food at the Club was never too good, but a quick look at Cold War-era menus from the Club shows a diverse collection of entrées. (Source: Harvard University Archives, HUD 3382.754, Box #1)