NCAA Tournament Central 2015
Tyler Moy: An Artist on the Ice
Of McNally and Miracles: Star Defenseman Returns to Ice
Athlete of the Week: Saunders Nearly Wills Men's Basketball to Tourney Win

Featured Stories

Men's Basketball Copes with Heartbreaking Ending
Entering a losing locker room in the NCAA Tournament feels like walking into a painting. Players known for their movement are deathly still. A team that has learned to communicate so well is absolutely silent. It feels like the kind of place where the word somber was invented.
Turn Back the Tape: Harvard and Minnesota Women's Ice Hockey Teams Square Off Once Again
It’s March in Minneapolis, and for fans of the Minnesota women’s ice hockey team, this month has a single meaning: championship time.
Signing Off: Harvard Senior Prepares To Call Final Game
As friends and family testify, senior Ben Zauzmer’s career in broadcasting is about more than becoming the voice of Harvard basketball.
The Third Team: The ISL Connection of Harvard and BC Women's Ice Hockey
On Friday night, when the locker rooms empty at the start of the Frozen Four semifinal between Harvard and Boston College, three different teams will take the ice.
Men's Basketball Season About More Than Final Tallies
We writers like to write a lot about games and numbers. In basketball, we cover games, which is really just a reflection of how good a team is. Just like a doctor might look at the readouts during a check-up, it’s only a quantification of a snapshot.
Harvard Alumni Fans Convene for the NCAA Tournament
As the Harvard men’s basketball team begins its fourth consecutive NCAA trip, its following is at an all-time high.
For Harvard Coach Tommy Amaker, History Awaits
Now, just about three decades after North Carolina coach Roy Williams first watched him play on his high school’s hardwood, Amaker will finally get the chance to face off against the program that he was taught to ‘hate’ and the coach whom sat on his rival’s sideline for so long.
Keeping It in the Family: Women's Hockey Coach Stone Seeks Second National Title
For Katey Stone, coaching is, and always has been, a family affair.
Internal Crimson Analytics Recognize Moundou-Missi as Best Crimson Player
According to play-by-play data compiled by The Crimson’s Data Science Team, the most valuable player Harvard has is not former Ivy League Player of the Year senior wing Wesley Saunders, but co-captain Steve Moundou-Missi—the league’s Defensive Player of the Year.
Point Guards and Playmakers: Chambers and Paige a Familiar Matchup
One decade ago, sixth-graders Siyani Chambers and Marcus Paige stepped onto a hardwood court in the upper-Midwest corridor of the country.
Former Faces of Men's Basketball Watch, Cheer on From Afar
Brandyn Curry ’13-’14 was on a bus somewhere in Holland. His Dutch team had an 8 p.m.game Saturday, so Curry was getting on the bus for an hour-long ride as Yale took a halftime lead over the Harvard men’s basketball team 3700 miles away in the Ivy League playoff game at The Palestra.
Veteran Saunders Proves Unstoppable, Indescribable
The thing about really good players is that they often turn reporters into pretty poor journalists.
Men's Basketball To Face North Carolina on Thursday in NCAA Tournament
The Harvard men's basketball team watched together at the Murr Center as it received a No. 13 seed for the NCAA Tournament. The Crimson will play North Carolina on Thursday at the Veterans Memorial Arena in Jacksonville, Fla.
Introducing North Carolina: Seven Questions With a Tar Heels Beat Reporter
As the Harvard men's basketball team (22-7, 11-3 Ivy league) prepares to face the University of North Carolina (24-11, 11-7 ACC) Saturday, Crimson staff writer Jacob D. H. Feldman got in touch with a reporter on the Tar Heels beat to learn about this year's Carolina squad.

Multimedia and The Back Page Blog

Jimmy Vesey Named ECAC Player of the Year
Before taking the ice for the ECAC Men’s Hockey Tournament semifinal matchup against No. 7/7 Quinnipiac, Vesey was named the ECAC Media Association Player of the Year.
Overheard in Minneapolis: Women's Ice Hockey's Frozen Four Press Conference
With Harvard's NCAA Frozen Four semifinal matchup against crosstown foe Boston College less than a day away, The Back Page presents some of the key quotes from Thursday afternoon's press conference in Minneapolis.
14 Men's Basketball vs. 3 North Carolina NCAA Tournament 2015
Harvard Women's Ice Hockey Season in Photos
As the Harvard women's ice hockey team continues to the NCAA Frozen Four, relive the team's journey through a series of the best photographs of the season.
Men's Basketball 2015 Season Recap in Photos
On Thursday night, the Harvard men's basketball team will look to complete its third consecutive NCAA Tournament upset. When it takes on North Carolina in its second-round matchup, the Crimson will aim to extend a season that has been full of ups and downs—and the story of this 2014-2015 campaign can be told through the pictures in this gallery.
The Keys To Victory for Men's Basketball
Men’s basketball beat writer David Freed looks at the five things Harvard needs to do to pull off the upset.
The Prediction Markets For Men's Basketball's Chances Against North Carolina
Before the Crimson kick off its fourth consecutive NCAA Tournament campaign Thursday in Jacksonville, Fla., The Back Page takes a look at what online prediction markets are saying about the Crimson’s chances.
Men's Basketball Becomes Consistent Presence on Biggest Stages
North Carolina and Harvard have essentially equal experience playing on the big stage of the tournament, something that more and more Davids have become able to say as they step up to slay Goliath.
What To Do in Jacksonville Prior to Tip-Off
In anticipation of the Harvard men’s basketball team’s second-round NCAA Tournament game against North Carolina, The Back Page takes a look at five of the other things to do in Jacksonville while waiting for the Crimson to tip off.
Men's Basketball Starters Ranked Among Worst by ESPN Insider
No other team—including all of the 15 and 16 seeds—had two starters ranked among the worst 10.
Live From Men's Basketball Media Day
The Harvard men's basketball team takes on fourth-seeded North Carolina Thursday evening in the second round of the NCAA tournament. But first, the Crimson took to the podium for Media Day on Wednesday. Follow @THCSports for all the latest updates from Jacksonville, Fla.
Men's Hockey Will Face Nebraska-Omaha in NCAA Tournament
Harvard (21-12-3, 11-8-3 ECAC) enters the tournament hot, having gone 6-1 in the ECAC Tournament that spanned the last three weekends. Junior Jimmy Vesey set a tournament record with nine goals in the team’s seven games en route to being named the tourney’s Most Outstanding Player. The Crimson outscored its opponents 25-15 in its run for the team’s first conference championship since 2006.

Game Coverage

NOTEBOOK: Women's Ice Hockey Earns Redemption Against Crosstown Rival BC
Harvard coach Katey Stone suggested that her team's eight-goal loss to BC was one of the best things that could have happened to her team—a statement that held true on Friday as the Crimson upended the Eagles in the NCAA semifinals to advance to the national title game.
NOTEBOOK: Men's Basketball Bricks Three Final Chances in the End of an Era
With less than a minute to go—the Harvard men’s basketball team (22-8, 11-3 Ivy) saw three chances to take the lead. Thrice the Crimson got a look it would take again, barely contested threes by its two best scorers, senior wing Wesley Saunders and junior co-captain Siyani Chambers.
Men's Basketball Prepares for Tar Heels With Eyes on the Speed of Play
During Wednesday’s press conference, Harvard men’s basketball coach Tommy Amaker said he was glad his players did not notice his reaction when North Carolina was matched with the Crimson during Sunday’s selection show.
A Familiar Foe Awaits Women's Ice Hockey in Minneapolis
The Crimson kicks off its stint at the NCAA Frozen Four Friday night with a rubber match against crosstown rival Boston College Friday in Minneapolis.
Men's Hockey Knocks Off Yale in Double Overtime Thriller To Advance to ECAC Semifinals
Trailing 2-1 in the final minutes of regulation, Harvard’s season appeared to be on life support. But a late goal from Patrick McNally and a Jimmy Vesey double-overtime winner launched Harvard into next weekend's ECAC tournament semifinals in Lake Placid, N.Y.
Women's Hockey Coasts Into Frozen Four With 5-0 Win Over Quinnipiac
Three times this season, the Crimson pulled out 2-1 wins over Quinnipiac. But on Saturday, Harvard exploded for five goals against the Bobcats to earn a spot in the Frozen Four next weekend in Minnesota.
Men's Basketball Beats Yale in Ivy Playoff, Clinching NCAA Tournament Berth
The Harvard men’s basketball team is going dancing again. Co-captain and forward Steve Moundou-Missi hit a jumper from the top of the key in the final seconds to give the Crimson a 53-51 win over Yale in Saturday’s Ivy League Playoff.
NOTEBOOK: Men's Basketball Gets A Head Start on the Madness of March
All attention was on senior wing Wesley Saunders as he, head down, barreled his way into the paint. As he planted his left foot in the heart of the key, his defender took a slight step backward, likely anticipating the trademark Saunders spin move—not the reverse pivot that took place instead, and certainly not his shovel pass to co-captain Steve Moundou-Missi that took place moments later.
Men's Ice Hockey Shut Out By Yale In Game 2 of ECAC Tournament Quarterfinals
For the Harvard men’s ice hockey team, five seconds in the final minute made the difference in a 2-0 loss in Game 2 of the ECAC tournament quarterfinals on Saturday.
Men's Hockey Tops Yale, 3-2, To Take ECAC Tournament Quarterfinal Series Lead
For the first time in over a decade, the Harvard men’s ice hockey team came away with a win at Ingalls Rink on Friday, edging Yale in Game 1 of the ECAC tournament quarterfinals, 3-2.
NOTEBOOK: McNally Returns, Vesey Nets Winner in Game 1
Junior forward Jimmy Vesey came away with his first win against Yale as a member of the Crimson on Friday, netting the 50th goal of his Harvard career in the victory.
Men's Basketball Shares Ivy Crown With Yale Loss, One-Game Playoff To Determine NCAA Tournament Bid
Harvard took care of business in its win over Brown Saturday evening. And in a wild 13 seconds of play in Hanover, Dartmouth climbed back from a four-point deficit, defeating Yale on a last-moment score to give Harvard a share of the Ivy League crown and keep its NCAA Tournament hopes alive.