Alyza J Sebenius

College

17 Class Marshal Finalists Emerge from First Round of Voting

The Class of 2014 cast roughly 1,000 votes to choose their senior class marshal finalists, but it was a last-minute vote that created a tie among two of the candidates and resulted in the selection of 17 finalists, rather than the usual 16. The finalists, eight of whom will ultimately represent their class this year and beyond as marshals, were announced Thursday morning.

Research

Report Outlines HMS Researcher Misconduct

An internal investigation by Harvard Medical School into scientific misconduct by one of its former stem cell researchers used information from the researcher’s colleagues and computer hard drive searches to confirm a breach of academic integrity, according to the investigation’s official report.

Studying the Brain
Science

New Device Monitors the Brain

Harvard researchers have developed the first quantitative neuromotor assessment device, an advancement which could have repercussions for fields ranging from sports medicine to Parkinson’s disease research.

Green

University Outlines Green Initiatives

The University has substantially reduced greenhouse gas emissions, food waste, trash, water use, and the number of commuters who drive solo to campus, according to a University-wide Sustainability Impact Report released by the Office for Sustainability on Monday.

Allston

New Architects for Barry's Corner Present to Allston Residents

Harvard presented Samuels & Associates, Harvard’s real estate partner for the Barry’s Corner Retail and Housing Commons project, to Allston residents Wednesday. The presentation, made during a Harvard-Allston Task Force meeting, reflected further progress on the part of the University as it resumes its development in the neighborhood.

Football

Ivy League and Big 10 Launch To Jointly Research Head Injuries in Athletics

In the wake of an increased awareness of the dangers of head trauma in sports, the Ivy League and Big Ten Conferences will partner in research on concussions and other head injuries in collegiate athletics.

Books

The Nonrequired Required Reading List

When Daniel A. Gross ’13 thought about life after graduation, he decided that with his departure from campus, he didn’t ...

Research

Harvard Hosts Boston Elementary School Students

The student at the Boston public school Elihu Greenwood Leadership Academy in Hyde Park visited Harvard as part of a day-long early college awareness program that invited a group of fourth and fifth graders from two Boston public schools, along with their parents, to campus for an event featuring collaborative science experiments, discussions with college undergraduates, and Harvard campus tours.

Central Administration

Harvard To Resume Allston Science Center Development in 2014

After halting construction on its Allston science center more than two years ago, Harvard announced on Wednesday that it will resume development in 2014.

IOP

Youngest Nobel Peace Prize Winner Discusses Middle East at IOP

H. E. Tawakkol Karman, co-recipient of the 2011 Nobel Peace Prize and the first Arab woman to win a Nobel, said that she was effective in fighting for women’s rights in Yemen by focusing on human rights for all.

Harvard in the World

Between Harvard and Yale, a World of Difference

At a time when some universities are expanding their physical footprint abroad, Harvard remains committed to keeping its undergraduate student body firmly rooted in Cambridge.

University

Harvard Turns 350

The festivities, which drew 44,000 attendees, were part of one of the largest and most extravagant birthday parties the country has ever seen and brought together members of the Harvard community from the class of 1918 to the Class of 1990.

Green

Sustainability Projects Honored at Green Carpet Awards

Harvard community members who have made significant contributions to sustainability efforts on campus and beyond were honored at the third annual Green Carpet Awards in Sanders Theater Thursday afternoon.

Controversial Conversations with Kissinger
Politics

Kissinger Reminisces at Harvard

Former Secretary of State Henry A. Kissinger ’50 returned to his alma mater Wednesday to tell stories of negotiating with China’s Mao Tse-tung and of secretly harboring a cocker spaniel, Smoky, in his Claverly dorm room.

Politics

Shetty Urges Further Amnesty

“The Western powers cannot be selective with human rights,” Amnesty International Secretary General Salil Shetty said at a lecture at Harvard Law School on Thursday.

transatlanticism
Highlight

Transatlanticism

paris_leaving
Highlight

I Am Not at a Cafe

zoe_argentina
Highlight

Away in Argentina

Land of Fog
Highlight

Land of Fog